St Marks Church - Coburg Road - Lewisham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Marks Church - Coburg Road - Lewisham

Hi everyone. My Great Grandparents were married at St Marks in 1897.

I was up there a few weeks ago and the Church is now a Mosque - but you can clearly see it was once a Church. Obviously the WW2 bombing reduced the number of homes around the Church and it became used less and less.

It's now known as the Peckham Mosque.

Does anyone know any info on when the Church became a Mosque or how I go about finding this out ?

I'm guessing contact the Council or the Mosque direct, but maybe someone has some other idea ?!

Can anyone show a link to St Marks as it was ? I've not found anything as yet.

Thanks

Simon

There is some info about it on here because it is a listed building:
    Detailed Record
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Now reading that, ooh, I think one of my ancestors used to live at Cobourg Road! I'll have to check who it was... oh, not exactly an ancestor, my 3xg-uncle Robert James Bristow jr and his family are at 49 Cobourg Road on the 1871 census.
      Last edited by KiteRunner; 25-02-09, 14:03.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        Now reading that, ooh, I think one of my ancestors used to live at Cobourg Road! I'll have to check who it was... oh, not exactly an ancestor, my 3xg-uncle Robert James Bristow jr and his family are at 49 Cobourg Road on the 1871 census.
        So 1954 it became a Mosque then ? If I've read that info correctly.

My father and I walked down the Coburg Road with the Mosque on our right. On our left was a massive 'pond / boating lake' - this used to be about four or five streets - clearly there was huge WW2 bomb damage and a 'pond / boating lake' was created.

I did take a photo of a house on Coburgh road that had 1822 high up the front of it - but there is no house number in the photo - cos I missed that out.....sorry !

Peckham Mosque (Southwark, London): "Peckham Mosque" - UK Mosque Searcher

If you drag the map from the top left you will see the 'lake' !

Comment

St. Marks was not a mosque in 1954. I am not sure when it became one but definately not 1954. I used to live near there until the late 70's and my parents lived there until they died a couple of years ago. I will try and find out when it became a mosque.

The lake is located in Burgess Park which if memory serves me right was created about 15 - 20 years ago.

Comment

I think it said something about last time it was changed was 1998 in that info? But not sure if that's when it became a mosque.
            KiteRunner

Comment

I imagine that it comes under Lewisham Borough, if its does try this. the people there are great. any problems or need to get copies of anything I can pick then up as I will be down that while in a while.....if anyone know's they will...;)Lilly.
              Lewisham Local History and Archives Centre
              Lewisham Library (2nd Floor)
              199-201 Lewisham High Street
              London
              SE13 6LG
              Tel: 020 8297 0682
              Fax: 020 8297 1169
              Email: local.studies@lewisham.gov.uk

Comment

I imagine that it comes under Lewisham Borough, if its does try this. the people there are great. any problems or need to get copies of anything I can pick then up as I will be down that while.....if anyone know's they will...;)Lilly.
                London
                SE13 6LG

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
                  I imagine that it comes under Lewisham Borough, if its does try this. the people there are great. any problems or need to get copies of anything I can pick then up as I will be down that while.....if anyone know's they will...;)Lilly.
                  London
                  SE13 6LG
                  I might be wrong but I think it comes under Southwark.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    I think it said something about last time it was changed was 1998 in that info? But not sure if that's when it became a mosque.
                    1998 sounds more like it for the change into a mosque.

Comment

Originally posted by SueinKent View Post
                      St. Marks was not a mosque in 1954. I am not sure when it became one but definately not 1954. I used to live near there until the late 70's and my parents lived there until they died a couple of years ago. I will try and find out when it became a mosque.

The lake is located in Burgess Park which if memory serves me right was created about 15 - 20 years ago.
                      Yes, I was pretty sure that there simply wouldn't have been the 'need' in 1954 for a Mosque in that area, hence my questioning it.

So I wonder what was there before the 'lake' - I'm guessing that there would have been a wasteland. Before WW2, it was a group of streets that linked on to Coburg Road.

Thanks Sue - appreciate that.

Comment

I might be wrong but I think it comes under Southwark.
                        OK, I thought it was Southwark - but the map had Lewisham.

I took some pics on the day and the streets had London Borough of Southwark on them.

I also got down to Loncroft Road - which is opposite 'St Marks'.

Comment

There used to be a smallish park on Wells Way/ Albany Road. There were also lots of terrace houses which were all knocked down to create Burgess Park.

Comment

There used to be a smallish park on Wells Way/ Albany Road. There were also lots of terrace houses which were all knocked down to create Burgess Park.
                            So that 'lake' wasn't one massive bomb crater than ?

I thought it'd have been there from the early 1950's.

I'd love to see some photos of that area before they pulled down all the houses.........

Comment

Originally posted by Simon in Bucks View Post
                              So that 'lake' wasn't one massive bomb crater than ?

I thought it'd have been there from the early 1950's.

I'd love to see some photos of that area before they pulled down all the houses.........
                              Bits of the park may have been bomb sites but most of it was created through knocking down lovely old houses.

I will ask around my family to see if they have any photos and I will look through mine, if any come to light I will let you know.

My dad used to work for Southwark council and he was a park keeper at Burgess Park until he retired. How he used to moan about picking up all the leaves in Autumn lol.

Comment

Bits of the park may have been bomb sites but most of it was created through knocking down lovely old houses.

I will ask around my family to see if they have any photos and I will look through mine, if any come to light I will let you know.

My dad used to work for Southwark council and he was a park keeper at Burgess Park until he retired. How he used to moan about picking up all the leaves in Autumn lol.
                                That would be great - thank you.

There are quite a few trees there around the lake........

Shame on the houses going.

Comment

Working...
                                X