Charles Luff and his Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Luff and his Dad

My great great grandfather was Charles Luff and I have traced him in the 1861 census when he was 26 and an agricultural labourer living at Eaton Socon, Hunts. With him are his wife Emma [29, nee Markham] and their children William [4], Emma [2], and George [3 months, later to become my great grandfather]. [RG9/0984/F?/P30]

With help from fellow FTF readers, I then also found him at Pattisons Yard, St Neots, in 1841 [HO107/0454/F?/P16] and at High Street, St Neots, in 1851 [HO107/1750/F178/P16]. These show his parents as George and Sarah or Rose. There is also a submitted entry to the IGI showing his parents as George and Rose Luff. All the names and ages seem to tally so everything seems robust.

That is except for one minor detail. On the marriage certificate dated 7 November 1856, when Charles was 21, his father isn’t George but William Brownhill [or is it Bromhill?] Luff! The IGI entry for his marriage also shows his father as William Brownhill Luff. So far, no trace of either William Luff or his son Charles has been found in 1841 or 1851.

So where were they? Have I been looking in the wrong places? Any ideas, please?

...Dugless

There is a Charles Brownhill in 1851 with father William and a younger sibling who is only 4, wonder if Charles' mother was a luff and had Charles before marrying William Brownhill.

This is all just thought so I'm off to look for more.

1851. HO107; Piece: 1750; Folio: 177; Page: 14
    Fiona. xx

Comment

1841 down as Brownill, William is married to a Judith,

HO107; Piece 454; Book: 3; Folio: 11; Page: 15;

Judith's death is registered under Brownill in Mar of 1851. So far I've not been able to find a marriage for William to any Judith on IGI.

I did find a baptism for a Judith Luff, St Neots in 1807. but without a marriage can't be sure William Brownhill married her or if it was after the birth of Charles.
      Fiona. xx

Comment

Who were the witnesses to the marriage of Charles Luff?
        Fiona. xx

Comment

The witnesses were William and Mary Markham. William was probably the bride's brother and Mary her mother.

Comment

So the witnesses are no help at all then.

Can't find the Brownhill's after 1851 or a birth for John Brownhill born around 1846/47 which would hopfully have given his mothers maiden name so all in all not have much luck.
            Fiona. xx

Comment

I take that back in 1861 William and john are in Cambridgeshire.

RG9; Piece: 1016; Folio: 115; Page: 16
              Fiona. xx

Comment

I see in 1871 Charles and Emma have a daughter Judith b.1863. Wonder if she was named after his mother??

RG10; Piece: 1536; Folio: 131; Page: 5
                Fiona. xx

Comment

Interesting and thanks Fiona.

What I do find odd is that the marriage certificate shows Dad as 'William Brownhill Luff', not simply 'William Luff'. If his Dad is indeed William Brownhill then why did Charles append the Luff? And if his Mum is Judith, possibly Luff, where was she in 1841? Yet again I ask myself 'Why did I ever start this?'

...Dugless

Comment

It might be that Charles was asked his fathers name and he said William Brownhill and the vicar or whomever was filling it in wrote William Brownhill Luff as Charles was Charles Luff.

If you look at post #3 I've given the ref No. for the 1841 census, Judith is on that with William Brownhill and Charles Brownhill.

I'm not saying this is the right family but would like to find a marriage for William Brownhill to a Judith to see who she is or even the birth of John Brownhill to see his mothers maiden name.
                    Fiona. xx

Comment

Working...
                    X