Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you find out about Master Gilders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you find out about Master Gilders?

I have discovered that one of my ancesters was a Gilder by profession. Being as they are dealing with precious metals, he has to have done an apprenticeship of some kind and be registered as a member. Can anyone help?

Welcome Lorraine,
    You've probably already googled and found the Society of Gilders - they may have some information or be able to point you in the right direction.
    Good luck
    JANE

Comment

Hi Lorraine, welcome.
      If he was working in London, the Guildhall Record Manuscripts Section would probably be able to help.

Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section

Roger

Comment

Have you tried the Guildhall Library in London? The only problem here is that there is a massive reorganisation going on with Guildhall and LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) so I will give web address but not as informative at present as normal. Some of these livery company records MAY have moved to LMA but I am not sure about this as the reorganisation is still ongoing with many of the records coming online at some point possibly this year, with Ancestry.

The information you may be interested in comes under No 13 where it talks about Livery Companies (MSS) in brackets.

Familia: Corporation of the City of London

You could send an e mail detailing your question.

Failing this you could try the local County Record Office for the place nearest to where your ancestor was and again a quick e mail may help you decide further action even if you do not live near your CRO of interest.

Janet

Comment

Thanks for your help. I have sent off a couple of e-mails and will let you know if I get any useful replies.

Comment

Working...
          X