How can I find her?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find her?

I am going over some old research and have a huge wall in my tree. I'm hoping you lovely lot can help somehow.

My 3xGGrandfather, Joseph Hobson, married Ellen Mills in 1860, in Sheffield.

According to all the censuses, she was born c1840-1844 in London (that's all it says :(). According to the marriage cert, her father was John Mills, a Labourer.

She was living in Sheffield at the time of the marriage. In 1861, she is living with Joseph and his parents.

The witnesses on the cert are no relation to her.

There is, in 1851, an Ellen Mills with father John born in St Lukes, but she is in 1861 with the same family. She isn't 'my' Ellen.

How can I find 'my' Ellen?
    Tracy

There seem to be only two reasonably possible births for Ellen:

1840 Kensington, Jan. quarter. Vol 3 P 209
    1841 Whitechapel, april quarter Vol 2 page 551

The Kensington one appears on the censuses, so that just leaves Whitechapel. But as you say, she is nowhere to be found
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

How do you know the witnesses aren't related to her?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for looking Sally

Nell - because they're from her husbands side.
        Tracy

Comment

Maybe Mills was a stepfather and she was born with a different surname,
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Tracy, have had a quick look on Ancestry - can't find her particularly under Mills or Hobson. But there's loads of Joseph Hobsons in Yorkshire.

However have you tried Sheffield Records Online? Sheffield Records Online - 1841,1851,1861 census, directories, probate, burials, cutlers, poll book etc

I've got a lot of main rellies from Sheffield - and find this site very useful - there's even a section called ''Brickwalls''! where you can leave messages....the site is free - just register.
            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Thanks for that Dorothy. I will have a look at that site, but they weren't really 'from' Sheffield. They were just there a few years - 1859-60 I think lol

Mostly they lived in Hathersage (where Joseph is from) and Leeds where they settled.

I have registered, so will await my email

Nell, there are 123 Ellens registered in the City of London (only) between 1839 and 1845.
              Last edited by Orangeblossom; 24-02-09, 21:41.
              Tracy

Comment

I don't suppose she ever has any of her relatives with her on the censuses (after her marriage, I mean)?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  I don't suppose she ever has any of her relatives with her on the censuses (after her marriage, I mean)?
                  No :(, my lot are never that helpful lol
                  Tracy

Comment

Working...
                  X