Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "what software" thread - sorry....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "what software" thread - sorry....

I currently use Generations - ancient I know.... i have been using this software since I started my research years ago.

Although it is very limited in what it does, i like the family view that you get with this (similar to Legacy).

I have just tried a trial version of Agelong from a magazine cover CD, and love some of the features of the software, but dont like the overall feel of it...
    The main feature that I love is the fact that you can attach photos and scanned documents to a persons file and you get a full screen scan of a say a birth certicate, not the thumbnails that seem to happen with other software packages I have trialled.

I think that I am very fussy about my choice of software as I want it to be all singing, all dancing, and am yet to come across one.

Recently, after being too trusting and getting stung by mis-information, I am getting documents for everything, and the ability to attach everything to a person / event is a real must - it has to be flexible enough to include things like newspaper articles, wedding invitation scans etc etc, not just bmd certificates.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I used Generations for ages, still do occasionally, but have been using Family Tree Maker for the past 3 years. It too has the nfamily view like Generations.

I have tried all sorts of other programs but always come back to FTM. I have both 2006 and 2008, but I prefer 2006 version.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy.
      Can you attach documents etc to peoples records?

Comment

Yes Karen you can. Here's what the help file says about scrapbooks

Each individual and each marriage in your Family File has a Scrapbook where you can store virtually any type of information about your family, including Kodak Photo CD Pictures, sound files, video files, text files, picture files, and other Picture Objects. You can then use these images to enhance reports and your family books, play slide shows, and more. You can also add captions and categorize your Picture/Objects.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I know i am being very fussy, but i dont particularly like this software either.

Comment

Family Historian is probably one of the best programs for handling attached documents. I have everything including census images, certificates, photos and newspaper cuttings attached, and you can attach any document to more than one person (ideal for census images and BMD certificates)

You can download a free demo here:-

Downloads

There is excellent support via the Family Historian User Group

I know I am probably biased, but when deciding which program to use I trialed all of them and FH was easily the best.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Wendy,

I did not realise that in FTM each person had a scrapbook; I thought there was only one scrapbook for everyone. I suppose another look at FTM is called for.

Thanks,

Hugo

Comment

Thanks Pete,
                I will take a look at Family Historian.
                I dont know why I am so fussy about the programme that I use. I guess after many years of research (and working with computers), I know what I want it to be able to do, and can never seem to find one that ticks all the boxes.

Comment

It appears that I have once downloaded FH before, as I have just downloaded it, and tried to open it, and its telling me that its expired and requires a key.

Comment

It might be worth e-mailing Calico Pie and explaining that although you have looked at FH in the past, you are now reconsidering it and would like to re-trial it. I have always found them very helpful in the past, and besides they may get a sale out of it!
                    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Good idea, thanks.
                      Will try that.

I have thought about designing my own software on more than one occassion, but dont have a degree in programming or the money to pay someone else to do it. The perfect software is in my head - just not on my PC unfortunately! lol

Comment

Working...
                      X