Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a birth

hello everybody.

my query is a hard one. my gran remembers an 'aunt' nina. pronounced nine-a.
    nina was supposedly my great grandma lily beatrice coates sister. except there is no birth ref or any census she is on.

we have now come to the conclusion that she was just a friend, or a distant cousin close to the family.

my gran was born in 1932, darlington. she says nina had a grandaughter born the same time in bishop auckland. thing is, this grandaughter might still be alive, and the indexes don't have a person of this name born in durham at all. i don't have access to ancestry, so can't look up the indexes properly.

i was wondering if someone was willing to help, because once i find this birth ref, i have a real chance of finding out who nina was.

thanks for help and suggestions.

Nina is going to a lot LOT older than your gran if she had a grandaughter born the same year as your nan was, at least 30 years I'd have thought. When were your grans parents married?

Or havent I understood correctly?

update- no I haven't,

This where was Lily Beatrice born & married?
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 24-02-09, 05:45.
    Jess

Comment

lily b coates was born in 1890, auckland. she's the daughter of simon coates and jane ann gill. lily married joseph edward dove in 1921, darlington.

nina should be born around the 1860's, based on the the grandaughters birth.
      there arn't any sisters of simon or jane that could be said as nina, or corrupted as such. i havn't looked at in laws, but the surname i want for the granaughter is not coates.

Comment

These were the names that came up on a search on ancestry for births 1865 +/- 5 years
        Nina Isabel Baff 1874 Sep Auckland vol 10a, page 257
        Nina Janny Walton 1875 Sep Auckland vol 10a, page 286
        Any use?
        Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 24-02-09, 07:09. Reason: error

Comment

These two come up on a search for 1860 +/- 5 years
          Nina Florence Allison 1856 Dec, South Shields vol 10a, page 433
          Nina Bain 1864 Mar South Shields, vol 10a, page 595
          Margaret

Comment

I am puzzled as to why you think she was born about 1860. If she was thought to be Lily B Coates sister, I would have expected her to be born close to 1890. If she was born about 1890, she would be 42 in 1932, and could easily be old enough to have a grandchild.
            Last edited by Lyn A; 24-02-09, 07:39.

Comment

some of my family came from the north east and one was called 'nine-a' but it wasnt her real name it was a pet name. a bit like 'hinny' from lancashire i think. anyone from north east here who knows local dialect? nine or nine-a maybe comes from scandinavia??? hope you understand what i am getting at!

another thought - nine or nine-a may have meant grandma now i think back a bit.
              angelina
              Last edited by angelina; 24-02-09, 08:44.
              Angelina

Comment

That sounds possible, Angelina, because as far as I know, the name "Nina" is pronounced "Nee-na", so "Nine-a" could well be a nickname of some kind.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  i don't have access to ancestry, so can't look up the indexes properly.

Kyle, don't forget, you can also buy credits on findmypast or Family Relatives to look through the BMD indexes.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

thanks for the ideas everyone. i have been having trouble thinking what the name could have been if it was a nickname.

the only sister of lily's that could come close to nina, is lorreina maud coates.
                    but she dissapears after the 1891 census without trace.

Comment

I see your Lorraine/Lorrina Maud Coates was born in Shilton (from the 1891 census). In 1901 there is a servant called Lavinia Coates aged 14 b Shilton, but there is no birth reg in Auckland for a Lavinia Coates, so maybe this is your Lorraine?

This is probably her too:

Marriages Mar 1908
                      APPLETON William Henry Middlesbro' 9d 795
                      Coates Lorrina Maud Middlesbro' 9d 795
                      Medd Emily Jane Middlesbro' 9d 795
                      MOODY John Middlesbro' 9d 795

There are some Appleton/Coates births after 1911 in the right area.

County Durham isn't on the 1911 yet!

Comment

There is a marriage for Lorrina Maud Coates Mar 1908 Middlesbrough to either William Henry Appleton or John Moody (the other bride being Emily Jane Medd). I'll see if I can figure out who married whom...
                        KiteRunner

Comment

It's on Tees Valley BMD and she married William Henry Appleton.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

you guys are fantastic. goodness. my gran never knew that lily had three elder siblings. when i mentioned them, she had no clue. lorraine was interesting because her name is flash compared to her siblings.

thankyou for tracking her down. but the children's ages don't fit with the time frame for her to be nina.
                            Last edited by kylejustin; 25-02-09, 08:37.

Comment

i wondered if i could pm someone the name of nina's grandaughter, and see if they could find the reference on ancestry. i heard here somewhere that the database was now searchable by name.

anyway, if the ref was found i would have mother's maiden name, and be able to find nina. by looking for the parents marriage, i could locate a family.

Comment

You can buy pay-as-you-go credits on ancestry if you don't want to take out a full sub. But have you tried on Tees Valley indexes, though I know they aren't complete yet? Or wasn't she born in that area?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

she was born in bishop auckland according to gran, but yes i did check that site, with no luck.

Comment

well, lorraine maud coates married william henry appleton in 1908.
                                    they had william henry in 1908, [names removed in case they are still living

i have had help and found the granddaughter's birth reg. lorraine and william's granddaughter. it looks very likely that lorraine was nina.
                                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 25-02-09, 11:27. Reason: names removed in case they are still living

Comment

Working...
                                    X