Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with reading and also untangling

Reading bit first to break you all in slowly:

I have this family in 1911 and I'm trying to work out who the 18 year old is.

I have Emma Page with her first husband Henry Linkson in the earlier census. These are their children (all born Islington) to help you figure out what the other ones say:

Alice b1878
    Ada b1882
    Emma b1884
    Sarah b1889
    Margaret b1890
    Kate b1895
    Rose b1897

Here's the image:

Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Not exactly sure what you want to know? The first name of the 18 year old is Annie.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Untangling bit:

There is only one Rose Linkson alive in 1911 - the one above. I have found a 2nd entry for a Rose Linkson (transcribed as Linherson - original says Linkerson which is how this lot sometimes spell their name)

New Rose is listed as sister to the following head:

Frederick Mallett 33, Optical Lens Worker, b: Finsbury Park
      Alice Mallett 31, b: Islington

Length of marriage is 11 years, oldest child is 9.

Now I would assume that this is her sister Alice born 1878 and she's just been recorded twice - but I can't find a marriage for Alice to Frederick.

Am I jumping to too many conclusions?

Thanks in advance

Zoe

x
      Zoe in London

Comment

Oops I was trying to work out the one above that. Yes agree Annie.

Comment

That's what I first thought too but the A is different to that at the start of Mary Ann and once I spotted that it started to look like Lizzie
          Zoe in London

Comment

Ann Elizabeth Linkson born AMJ 1893 Islington 1b 359

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Well the P in Page on the first line and the P on the second line are different.

The S in Sarah is different to the S in Step.

Sometimes I do an A as it is on the keyboard, and sometimes I write the A as it appears in Mary Ann on you census image.

Comment

Could it be Lincolnson? Rosey at the bottom of page looks like that too. Deaf enumerator?
                Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 24-02-09, 09:00.

Comment

John Page & Mrs Page Husband 50
                  Emma Page Wife 52 (written over something, probably they originally wrote Sarah on that line then realised Emma needed a line to herself)
                  Sarah Lincolnson Step Daughter 22
                  Magie " " 20
                  Annie " " 18
                  Kate " " 16 (again, looks as though it may have been written over another name)
                  Mary Ann Page Daughter 16
                  Nellie " " 10
                  George Page Son 5 (mess of surname and age was originally written in the female column)
                  Rosey Lincolnson Step Daughter 14
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
                    Could it be Lincolnson? Rosey at the bottom of page looks like that too. Deaf enumerator?
                    Presumably the form was filled in by the householder, though?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Hmmm, the Malletts' marriage would seem to be this one:

Marriages Sep 1899

Edwards Alice Beatrice M Islington 1b 665
                      Jenner William Islington 1b 665
                      Mallett Frederick Islington 1b 665
                      NEVILL Annie Islington 1b 665

Zoe, when did Henry Linkson and Emma get married? I can't see their marriage on FreeBMD. I was just wondering whether Alice was born before their marriage and whether Emma's previous surname was Edwards?
                      Last edited by KiteRunner; 24-02-09, 09:35.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Could this be John in 1901.Jack can be John and could Lizzie be a Page

RG13; Piece: 184; Folio: 87; Page: 31.

Then this death

Deaths Sep 1903
                        Page Elizabeth Age 39
                        Islington
                        Last edited by niftynannie; 24-02-09, 10:39.

Comment

Linkson/Lincolnson

The census form was completed by Mary Ann Page the eldest daughter of John Page, "married " to Emma.
                          Emma and the girls were probaly largely illiterate. Margaret, who is my great grandmother (magie on the form) signed her 1913 marriage certifcate with a cross. That particular branch of the family probably would have only known the name by sound and wouldn't have a clue about the spelling.
                          The part of Islington where they lived was one of the poorest areas in London with families living below the poverty line.
                          I don't believe that Emma and Henry were ever formerly married and I think she may have been previously married to someone by the name of Edwards although I have yet to find a marriage certificate. Alice (who married Fred Mallet) and Emma both have the surname Edwards.
                          Incidentally Emma's former name is listed as "Jones" on Margaret's birth certificate. Emma is obviously not very sentimental about surnames but is thankfully not a biggamist!

Comment

Working...
                          X