Eliza Milne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliza Milne

I have found my Eliza Milne on Scottish People website in the 1891 census with her son Robert who I know of and daughter Alice and son Andrew who I didn't know of. She is listed as Wife and not Head but her husband James isn't on there. Any clues anyone?

I thought James was her son and George was her husband.
    I believe George had died before 1881.

Try searching for James Milne, age 14-17 in Aberdeenshire, Clatt.
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 23-02-09, 22:47.
    Tracy

Comment

Husband George was alive with them, aged 63 on the 1901 Census. Or did that turn out to be the wrong family? Getting a bit confused with this now.

Comment

Just to clarify this is the family I thought was correct:

1901 Census: Adress Maxhill, Oyne, Aberdeenshire

George Milne, 63, born Aberdeenshire, Oyne

Eliza Milne, 63, wife, born Aberdeen (Town)

Robert Milne, 22, son, born Oyne, Aberdeenshire

Comment

I'm not sure Richard. I've confused myself lol

I think you may be right about George being alive in 1901. Just checking 1881 & 1891 now
          Tracy

Comment

There were two George Milnes with wifes called Eliza though wasn't there in Oyne, we found two marriages, perhaps the 1901 family I found is the wrong one? Mind you the occupation of George matches 'farm servant' though I suppose that's not that uncommon an occupation.

Comment

Husbands were often away doing whatever their work was. My gt x 2 grandfather isn't on 1841 or 1851. In 1851 his wife describes herself as "railway plate layer's wife" but I can't find him laying plates anywhr
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1881 - George is a Farm Servant in Westertown Pitmedden, Oyne

Richard, there is only one family in Oyne though.

1891 - there's a possible George in Monymusk. POB is transcribed as Dyce, so not sure.
                Last edited by Orangeblossom; 23-02-09, 23:01.
                Tracy

Comment

Source Citation: Parish: Monymusk; ED: 3; Page: 11; Line: 6; Roll: CSSCT1891_68; Year: 1891.

There is a George Milne there, right age, occupation farm servant, in a household with non relatives (not obvious relations, many different surnames). Born Dyce, Aberdeenshire.

Comment

Snap Orange Blossom, he's the one I thought was most likely too. Maybe as you say working away from home for some reason.

Comment

Mind you Dyce and Oyne could easily be mistranscribed in old hand writing couldn't they. I'd think it would be worth looking at the original image on Scotlands People.

Comment

There isn't another record for George Milne born Dyce, so I'm assuming it's a mis-transcription. It is possible it looks like Dyce. Monymusk is only about 10 miles from Oyne, so he could easily (well, relatively!) get there and back.
                        Tracy

Comment

Hi Guys
                          Sorry for the confusion but I was tired when I posted this and did it from memory. Yes George was her husband and James her son. Richard the 1901 census information you found where they were living with son Robert at Maxhill was correct. I can only assume that he was away working like you said.

Comment

Working...
                          X