George Milne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Milne

Thank you to anyone reading this who has already helped me immensely in my search. I am calling on you once more if you can help.
    My George Milne's parents were Helen Benzie and John Milne. What are the possibilities of their being more than one Helen Benzie who married a John Milne?
    I think I have found the birth, marriage and death details of Helen and John and both their parents from a google search which led me to someone's website. I have emailed them asking for confirmation but they may not know themselves whether I have the correct ones as their line stops at Helen and John so they have no record of children.

Originally posted by bmwgem View Post
    My George Milne's parents were Helen Benzie and John Milne. What are the possibilities of their being more than one Helen Benzie who married a John Milne?

On the fact of it, it seems pretty unlikely there would be two unrelated Helen Benzies who married men called John Milne, just because I don't think Benzie is a very common surname, but don't forget that it was quite common for the same few families to keep intermarrying between each other, so it is quite possible that there could be, say, an aunt and her niece both with the same name who married cousins both called John Milne.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

In 1851, George is living with a John and Margaret Benzie who I'm sure are related.
      Tracy

Comment

Mind you if you look here

Top surnames in Aberdeenshire from the 1881 British Census | British Surnames, Surname Distribution and Surname Profiles

Benzie was the most common surname in Oyne in 1881, and Milne the second most common in whole of Aberdeenshire. Sorry, really not trying to throw a spanner in the works, but I think you would need some further proof to be certain you do have the right couple. I have Aberdeenshire Milnes too by the way, and Gordons, so know how difficult can be!

Comment

Thanks Richard for the link to the website about names - very interesting as I have a whole branch from Aberdeenshire.

Sorry to bmwgem for going off topic.
          herky
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
          X