Merry & Little Nell - update on the Kay saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry & Little Nell - update on the Kay saga

You were so helpful, so I am keeping you in the picture..........or not as you will see!!

The certificates have started to arrive, but I am going bonkers. If you remember, Georgiana Percival Stephenson was illegitimate and married John William Kay, subsequently giving birth to Mary Percival Kay in 1876 in Darlington, and this birth cert gives John William as a Tailor. There is a marriage for Georgiana and John William in 1864 (cert still awaited).

There, as far as I can see, is only one John William Kay, Tailor, in Darlington and I found him as follows:

1851 Class HO107 Piece 2382 Folio 455 Page 24
    birth c 1839
    with mother, widow, Jane Kay and brother and sisters, including Scythey Ann who appears regularly in future censuses and Mary Elizabeth shown married below.

1861Class RG9 Piece 293 Folio 54 Page 15
    birth c. 1839
    Down in Middlesex with his brother in law
    Samuel Tule and his wife ( John William's sister) Mary E. Tule

1871 Class RG10 Piece 4881 Folio 9 Page 11
    birth c. 1841
    back in Darlington, living with his father and mother in law (??)
    William Patton Todd (Master Tailor)
    Jane Todd
    and also his sister Scythey Ann Kay
    Plus brother in law, William Cummins

1881 cannot find him
    but................ have Georgiana, his wife
    Class RG11 Piece 4934 Folio 51 Page 3
    living in Darlington with her parents William and Margaret Dobinson and her two daughters.

1891 Class RG12 Piece 4043 Folio 49 Page 37
    John William born c 1838 - married
    in Darlington with his sister Scythey Ann who clearly never married.

I have put the references not because I expect anyone to do anything, but I AM very puzzled by the fact that at one point he is with parents in law with entirely the wrong name!
    Also there does not seem to be one census where he is with his wife Georgiana, and by the time of the marriage of his daughter Mary Percival Kay, he has died.

Oh I do hope that the marriage and birth certs for this pair arrive tomorrow
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

I await future installments!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Sally

Re the 1871, it could be that his mother was Jane Kay who remarried to a William Todd. Sometimes the term "son-in-law" is used instead of "step-son"

Joanie

Comment

Ah, Thank you Joanie (how are you sweetie??!) - that would be an explanation, especially as his mother was widowed
        Last edited by sally; 23-02-09, 22:13.
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Seems I'm right!

Marriages Sep 1853
          BELL Benjamin Darlington 10a 12
          KAY Jane Darlington 10a 12 <<<<<<<<<<
          RYCROFT Elizabeth Darlington 10a 12
          Todd William Darlington 10a 12 <<<<<<<<<

Fine thanks!

:D

Joanie

Comment

*has headache*

I do remember typing in the name Georgiana.................. :D

Comment

I just got there, but you beat me to it.........I must work faster!! Goody, that has sorted that particular mystery out, and thank you

Comment

*murmers soothing words to Merry and gives her the night off from Georgiana

Comment

Merry did most of the work as I recall. *stirs milky drink*
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have to turn off now - will continue the updates as and when they occur!!!

Comment

Don't go yet!

His father was Thomas lol!

Hang on........:D

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                        Also there does not seem to be one census where he is with his wife Georgiana, and by the time of the marriage of his daughter Mary Percival Kay, he has died.
                        I have that problem with my GGrandmother (b1860). She never appears with her husband. She appears in one census (1891) with the man she had children with, but never married. Then she's alone again!

These two men are the bane of my life lol

Hope your lot are easier to sort out

btw - in 1881, John is with his mother, sister and a James Poole - Class: RG11; Piece: 4887; Folio: 28; Page: 20
                        Tracy

Comment

Scythy was registered as :

JOGTHAY ANN KAY

Christening:
                          22 JUN 1844 St Cuthbert'S, Darlington, Durham, England

Parents: Father: THOMAS KAY Mother: JANE

Thomas was also baptised there 2 years earlier.

Joanie

Comment

MAGDALANE KAY
                            Christening:
                            18 MAR 1827 St Cuthberts, Darlington, Durham, England
                            Father: THOMAS BRAITHWAITE KAY
                            Mother: JANE

THOMAS JOSEPH KAY
                            Christening:
                            02 DEC 1842 St Cuthbert'S, Darlington, Durham, England
                            Father: THOMAS KAY Family
                            Mother: JANE

Joanie

Comment

Oh wow, - thank you Joanie and Orangeblossom; will go and look at all that now.
                              No certs with postie today.......in fact no postie.

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                                Oh wow, - thank you Joanie and Orangeblossom; will go and look at all that now.
                                No certs with postie today.......in fact no postie.
                                You're welcome Sally, fingers crossed it's the right family, hopefully the marriage cert will confirm his father................who kidnapped the postie? Lol!

Joanie

Comment

Why is it the postie never delivers when you are waiting on his every move?

I hope you get your certs tomorrow.
                                  Kit

Comment

Yes Kit - and then when he does deliver it's just a load of rubbish usually!! Still, two important ones arrived today.

John William Kay's marriage to Georgiana Percival, and it confirms that she was illegitimate as there is just a series of dots where her father's name should be. Also, John William's father WAS a Thomas, Coachman, so I can look for him with more confidence now.

The second cert was Georgiana's mother's marriage. Margaret Stephenson to William Dobinson. They were both in their 40s, and whilst she was a spinster, he was a widower and from what I have discovered so far his first marriage was childless.

So thank you everyone, because you were right.

Comment

I got some of your posties rubbish today too Sally. Just thought I'd boing in and say "Hi" nothing genealogical to add!! LOL. xx

Comment

Hi Nana!!!! ~~~~~~~~waves~~~~~~~~~ xxxxxx

Well done Sally. What sort of name was Jogthay for goodness sake? Lol!

I have a coachman in my tree & the family is so hard to trace :(

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                                        X