My Grandfather's middle name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grandfather's middle name?

My Paternal Grandfather was one of eight children born to Henry and Sarah Dray, nee Ashby, and they hailed from the East Sussex area.
    Most of Grandfather's siblings had the Ashby name included in their Christian names but Grandfather did not. He had the rather exotic middle name of Dewarrin, first name Harry. His younger brother was Frank Orlando Ashby Dray, and I don't think that he was a marmalade cat either, but an interesting man I would loved to have known and probably the 'black sheep' of the family!
    So we really have two puzzles. 1) Why was Harrt denied the Ashby name and 2) where on earth did Dewarrin come from. I can find no trace of the name at all. I have the Ashby tree back as far as 1760 and can find nothing in that lot (big family, the Ashbys). I cannot get back with any certainty past Harry's father Henry, although if I can reconcile some dates I might get catapulted back a couple of centuries. Henry just seems to dissappear as well, so he is a bit of a mystery.

Sorry, I have rambled on a bit, but any thoughts from you clued up and helpful people whould be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.

dates? Perhaps Dewarrin was a misspelling of a surname of a family friend or godparent.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

How about a variation of DeWarren, maybe Cornish?

I Googled Dewarrin and most of the hits were Spanish except one Mr Dewarrin Coleman in Georgia that you need to pay up to contact.

De Warren brought up loads of hits for French people.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        How about a variation of DeWarren, maybe Cornish?

I Googled Dewarrin and most of the hits were Spanish except one Mr Dewarrin Coleman in Georgia that you need to pay up to contact.

De Warren brought up loads of hits for French people.
        Ah, that is quite interesting G.L. because when I was trying to find any origins of the surname Dray I found that it could possibly be Spanish, or even Spanish Jewish, but I do not think that we have any Jewish blood in us. Dray could also derrive from the French De Ray. I think that we could quite possibly be descended from Norman stock.

Oddly, I always thought that it was spelt Dewarren, but it is Dewarrin on his marraige certificate. Perhaps the vicar got it wrong, it wouldn't be the first time would it.
        Thank you for the suggestions.

Comment

One of my female ancestors had the strange middle name of Garlick. Turned out to be the name of her father's employer! I can only assume a bit of sucking up.

OC

Comment

Working...
          X