Help with this photo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with this photo please

This photograph was found in a late relatives posessions and although it must have been of significance we know nothing at all about it...the family left Lochbroom in Scotland and emigrated to Australia in the early 1800s.
    Can anyone date it and if possible say whether it was in Scotland or Australia... the relative saved family photographs

The photo looks to be early 1900s. If they emigrated in the 1800s, it must be Australia.
    Tracy

Comment

Looks like there are no leaves on most of the trees, is that a silver birch trunk on the left? (I'm horribly ignorant of what trees/shrubs grow in Australia)

Comment

Although the family left for Australia they do seem to have photographs taken decades later in Lochbroom and family still live in the Crofters cottages in Strathcanaird near Ullapool .... but this phograph seems to have too many people on to be Strathcanaird and the buildings in the background suggest a more urban area
        There is nothing on the back of the photograph to give any clue

Comment

Do you know where in Australia they went?
          Tracy

Comment

They left Lochbroom, in 1856 and their children were born in Kilmore, Victoria...they died in Barnawartha which is also Victoria.
            It is a daughter of the couple that left this picture when she died in 1979. not a mistake the daughter was born in 1879 and lived to be 100 years old
            Last edited by colin taylor; 23-02-09, 16:52.

Comment

I may be stereotyping here but wouldn't the men usually wear kilts at a Scottish wedding?

The trees do look like silver birches though
              Hail Spode!

Comment

Kilmore in Victoria can get very cold in winter and some trees would lose their leaves.

It is one of the areas currently affected by the bushfires.

Is that a church in the background???? It doesn't look like one that would have been at Kilmore in that time.

Have you tried the National Archives Australia to see if the photo is in their files???

Comment

Do you have any possible names???

Comment

it does look more of a suburban setting. and a very european garden too.
                    i would be more inclined to think it was scotland.

Comment

i can see a monument in the background could it be london,the older ladies are dressed like queen victoria brenda xxx

Comment

The family name is MacDonald ( McDonald ) and it was left by a MacDonald born 1879 died 1979 but sadly we do not know who they are only that she kept it for some reason.. but if it was possible to estimate the date it was taken it may help in some way.
                        The picture appears to be so old that we know no-one alive who would recognise anyone.

My initial thoughts were that it would have been taken in the church grounds and the builing in the background may be a grand house
                        Last edited by colin taylor; 24-02-09, 10:00.

Comment

The tree on the right looks very like a silver birch. Have you tried to enhance the picture to pick out what the buildings are on the left of the picture at the back? you could try zooming in on your computer until it breaks up to see if you can get a better idea of what that is. No leaves on the trees and quite warmly dressed suggests an early spring wedding? Could it just be a wedding photo of a friend of the family or a distant realitve living somewhere other than Scotland? Have you any other photos which might correspond to anybody on this photo? I might be inclined to date photo around the 1880's rather than the early
                          1900's.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 24-02-09, 13:25.

Comment

You are right, we have considered that this may be a photograph of the wedding of one of Jessie's friends and not relevant to the rest of the family. also that it may be taken in Australia, England or any town in Scotland.

As Jessie was born in 1879 I would estimate that if the bride was just a friend then it would be about 1905 or so....but I haven't a clue.

Comment

I suppose the only reason for me thinking it was late 1880's because some of the women have waspish waists which were very prominent at that time, and one of them looks to be dressed similar to my grandmother of which I have a photo of her in the 1880's. The wasp waists were much less so when the Victorian era finiished and the Edwardian era started. The 1890's are mutton sleeves. If you have a book on dating photos look at that to see when those hats were in fashion, or take the photograph to somewhere that might be able to date a photograph for you, like a friendly antique shop? As you a say if you had a date the rest might fall into place. What markings are on the back of the photo as the back of the photograph is important for dating purposes?

It looks to be a professional sort of photo and should have some important dating symbols on the back of it. Look carefully to see if there is the name of a photographer somewhere. I have a mystery photo taken about 1914 which has in very tiny print only seen with a magnifying glass the name of the photograher and Hamilton which is Scotland, so I have now firmy placed that photo in Scotland though it is still a mystery!

The following website may help you as it is Victorian and Edwardian photographs and hints on how to date.

Janet
                              Last edited by Janet; 24-02-09, 14:26.

Comment

The photo is in Australia but I recieved a reply this morning to say that there are no photographers marks and that the picture has not been cut down.

The photo does appear to be c 1890 and this ties in with her older sister getting married in 1890 in Australia...Jessie would have been 11 years old... but no children on the photograph

A mystery to resolve...
                                Thank you for your help
                                Colin

Comment

Do you know where she married??? Might be able to have a look around.

Comment

Jane married 16 July 1890 in Bogong, Chiltern, Victoria.
                                    The grooms father had died in 1885 but his mother was alive... both of the brides parents were alive.... I have recieved a photograph of Jane and her husband in later life but unable to decide if it is them...certainly no obvious likeness

Comment

Working...
                                    X