Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would 'Infidel' mean as a religion on 1891 Canada census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would 'Infidel' mean as a religion on 1891 Canada census?

I was just browsing the 1891 Canadian census for my Kilpatrick name and came across this. Second page down (p16), 8th name - George Kilpatrick. I don't actually think he's one of mine, as he's Irish not Scottish, but why would his religion be listed as 'Infidel'? Could it be because he was a Catholic or maybe an atheist?

Associated Image(s) - Census of Canada, 1891 - Library and Archives Canada
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Just 'Googled' and it means 'one without faith'.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Thanks Stella. I never thought to Google :o

It just seemed odd, seeing the word 'Infidel' in amongst all the Presbyterians and Methodists.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Sue

I didn't google - but my first reaction would have been that ''he was not of the faith usually acceptable'' - the Crusaders went off to conquer the infidels!

So I'd have thought Non-Christian - Hindu/Buddhist/Muslim etc.
        Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

I'd take it has him taking the mickey. My Dad always put "druid" on forms that asked for his religion. Remember 2001 lots of people put "Jedi knight" (allegedly)!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I agree with Nell. He was probably a prototype Jedi Knight! Must be that Irish sense of humour!

Comment

Having said that, I just had a look on Ancestry and according to their 1901 Canadian census transcription (the only one that is specifically searchable by Religion) there were 117 infidels in Canada in 1901. Also, Infidel (IF) appears on a list of Canadian census abbreviations (http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/ontario/centerm.html) so it must have been a recognised repsonse at the time.
              Last edited by Richard in Perth; 24-02-09, 00:41.

Comment

richard the lionheart fought the 'infidel' saladin.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I did think it might be the response of a very religious enumerator who maybe thought that if you weren't of a recognised religion, you must be an 'infidel'.

Thanks for that link to the abbreviations Richard. Not one I'd come across before and it makes interesting reading.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
                  X