Help reading a will please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading a will please.

I hope somebody can have a look at the will attached here. The part I am struggling with is about half way through where it says

"I give to my ? Mary Brynn daughter to my son Daniel Brynn our ?"

There is then a similar bequest to Francis Nicholls as well.

Here's hoping.
    Attached Files
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

Pauline, could you make it bigger, please? If you just pick out the bits you can't read then you should be able to attach them to your post or if you still want to post up the whole page I think you would probably have to put it on photobucket or similar.

Or if you can't do that, you could email it to me and I'll have a go at it - let me know if you want my email address.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Not sure how to make it bigger, being a bit of a thicko on things like that. Please can you let me have your email address, and I'll send it to you.

Thanks ever so
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

I give to my niece Mary Brynn daughter to my son Daniel Brynn one ?????????? about twelve months old. Item I give also to my niece Francis Nicholls daughter to my daughter Francis one ?????????????? about a twelve month old and to have them at the end of three months after my decease.

It looks like Enffer varlen or something like that but it means nothing to me! At first I thought the word "son" was a mistake and Mary was supposed to be the daughter of her brother Daniel as she seems to have had both a son and a brother by that name, but as it says Francis is the daughter of her daughter, they must have been using "niece" to mean granddaughter.

I'll see if I can post up the ?????????? bit big enough for others to have a try at...
        KiteRunner

Comment

Here goes...
          Attached Files
          KiteRunner

Comment

Apparently a barton is an archaic would for a farmyard. I would like the other word to be heifer. So a twelve month heifer from the farmyard?

(probably miles off! lol)

Comment

Yes, I was just wondering if it could be heifer. Were they farmers, Pauline?
              KiteRunner

Comment

The letter at the beginning of the first word does match the other h's in the will, but the letter at the beginning of the second one doesn't match the b's.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for the attempt. I thought it was me, but you seem to be struggling on the same bits as well. I don't quite understand why the term neice has been used when they are granddaughters. Interestingly, there are no baptisms that I can find for these 2, Mary & Francis, so I hvae no idea as to their ages which is a bit frustrating.:(
                  Pauline
                  xx

Comment

I haven't seen a reference to the family as being farmers. However, I do have the will of Richard Brynn, husband to this Frances, and the inventory includes various farm animals - sheep, steers, pigs. I would guess from that that they would be farmers, even if only in a small way.
                    Pauline
                    xx

Comment

Ooh, my dictionary says that the word niece originally meant granddaughter or any female descendant. It must have caused a lot of confusion when the meaning changed!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Well that explains that bit. Pleased about that :D
                        Pauline
                        xx

Comment

Ooh, my dictionary says that the word niece originally meant granddaughter
                          In Italian, the same word's used for both niece/granddaughter and nephew/grandson. Very confusing.

Comment

Working...
                          X