Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what next,anyone know please?? re GR

Good morning
    after being a member of GR for 6 years I never renewed on 31st January..
    I have 41 Merrick family members in my tree from Norton Canon ,Herefordshire...not one contact in 7 years...and yes you`ve guessed it....someone on GR has 3 matches for my Merrick tree in Norton Canon....how can I make contact with them,or do I have to pay???....allan:(
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Yes, you have to pay to contact someone if they are not already on your contact list.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Allan, I've had the same thing happen & there will be someone on here who will make an initial contact for you.
      Once they've done that it is down to your contact to pm you & then you can continue either by pm or if you are happy you can exchange emails.
      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Though of course if your contact isn't a paid-up member either, they will not be able to contact you unless one of you pays!
        KiteRunner

Comment

thank you both....I thought I would have to pay....sods law....allan:(
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Allan,

If your dates match their dates exactly then they may contact you. I also left GR over a year ago but now you have to pay for just 6 months at a time cost over £9 for 6 months. If your dates are out by a year then it may be worth you changing your year temporarily ro see if it comes up on hot matches. I have to say with my skeletal tree people do contact me and I can then answer. I have had three in two weeks one of which was interesting for me, and we are now in touch by e mail. The only trouble is if your dates are out by a year with the person you want to contact, then that match does not come up on hot matches. I find that hilarious. I have perfect matches of same name, place and out by one year no match, but a same name, same year and totally different country comes up time and time again as a match!

Janet

Comment

Allan.................I can contact someone if you pm the details.

Comment

I have just obtained her full name and her membership number....if someone would be kind enough to contact her ,could they PM me and I will pass on my e-mail addy...cheers...allan;)
                ADDED....thanks Janet...its my 4xg grandfather and 2 of his children ..exact dates...I have just been on GR again and there are 5 Merricks from Norton Canon ....all in this persons name and exact dates....I have 41,so I have valuable info for them..BTW when I first joined GR 6 years ago it was £4-50 for 12 months.
                Libby...you`re a godsend...thanks hun...PM on its way....thanks...allan
                Last edited by garstonite; 23-02-09, 10:13.

Comment

All sent.

Comment

thanks very much Libby...appreciate it...allan;)

Comment

how does that work then?

I have alot of contacts in my messagebox, one particular person I wanted to contact, so I click on her name and type message. click send..

then get the 'to send this you must cough up £9' or whatever the rip off is now to be able to send to someone already IN my contact list.

:(

Not a happy bunny.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I wonder if that means that your contact hasn't paid up either, Julie?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

If she is in your contacts then click "reply" to a previous message from her & it should go through.
                          Glen

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                            I wonder if that means that your contact hasn't paid up either, Julie?
                            I dont know Kate, it made me wonder if they had closed that particular loophole....

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                            If she is in your contacts then click "reply" to a previous message from her & it should go through.
                            I'm pretty convinced I did Glen, (nice to see you btw)

I will try again though, and see if it makes a diff
                            Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie, always lurking, never saying much.

I had the same problem as you when I attempted to message a previous contact but the "reply" method worked for me.
                              Glen

Comment

ahhhhhhh

I lurk too... ;)

Well I have just tried again with a contact and 'replied' to one of his pm's, THAT one went ok, so its either like Kate said, the person I wanted to contact then must only be a free member like me. (and her email addy I think has changed) oh well,

win some lose some....
                                Julie

Comment

Working...
                                X