Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military Service Record 'researcher' needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Service Record 'researcher' needed.

Last year in desperation I used a military researcher to find the service record of my great grandfather from the National Archives. His service was superb, cost effective and fast.

So, in June when I needed another similar service I contacted him again.... Long story short - Months passed, NO reply. I telephoned in the end and he replied and said he'd been very ill, had been in hospital, and to send my request to him again. Well that was in late September and I've heard nothing. I know he was elderly and must admit, I fear the worst. I'm loathe to bother him (or his family) again but would really like to find someone who can do a similar bit of research for me. That is - visit the NA and get copies of the military service records I need. These are for the approximate period of 1930 to 1945.

Living in Italy means I can't visit and even if I could, I wouldn't know where to begin. So can anyone suggest/recommend a good, reasonably priced, researcher who deals with military service records please? I would be really grateful!

What country are we talking about for the records and do you have his service number and his name.

Comment

Elba, the National Archives don't hold any service records for those dates. I think you would need to contact the Ministry of Defence to apply for the records, and the serviceman has to be deceased and you have to either be next of kin or have the next of kin's permission. I'll just find the link to the application form...
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Service records - Army
        KiteRunner

Comment

Don't forget to check our Advertising Forum - you will see that one of our members is a Military Researcher.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Don't forget to check our Advertising Forum - you will see that one of our members is a Military Researcher.
            http://www.familytreeforum.com/adver...e-offered.html

Thank you. I need information from there
            Joy

Comment

Thank you all for the help on this matter.

The soldier in question was my late father and I am his only child. He passed in 1983. I have a good deal of information on his two stints in the army, one 'pre-war' and the other during WW2.

I will now contact the person on the link so kindly posted here for me. I still have on file the letter with all the details that I sent to the other gentleman I spoke of.

Once again - thank you all!

Comment

I honestly can't see the point of paying a researcher to apply for the records on your behalf - if you click on the link in post number 4 of this thread it will take you to the website with all the details of how to apply for the records. There would be no other way for a researcher to get army records for the dates that you are looking at.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  I honestly can't see the point of paying a researcher to apply for the records on your behalf - if you click on the link in post number 4 of this thread it will take you to the website with all the details of how to apply for the records. There would be no other way for a researcher to get army records for the dates that you are looking at.
                  Thank you for the link Kite Runner- I hadn't dismissed it at all and I didn't mean to offend you. I have seen that site before. The cost of £30 isn't a problem as I have enough information to satisfy their requirements. I suppose I was looking at a researcher because the one I used last year did a turn around in a week and provided me with a cd record of all the documents (17 pages of them). Obviously whichever I choose must (these days) be cost effective as the old pension is pretty dire nowadays with the poor exchange rate!

Comment

Elba................

I used a military researcher when I was stuck, but all i had was a name and a couple of dates.....no idea of where. And it was in the 1790-1830 timeframe.

He was great and cost me 55 pounds for about 2kgs of paper.

I hope it's not the same fellow as I'd hate to know he was so ill.

However, if you know who and when I'd think you'll be paying the cost 30pounds plus the cost of a researcher.

I ordered some documents from TNA and they only took 2 weeks to get to me in Australia.

Comment

Hope its not Kevin as I've heard such good reports of his research. Whoever it is I hope they are feeling much better and is recovering from his ailments.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee.............that's who I was thinking of. He's such a lovely man.

I also hope whoever is recovering.

Comment

Originally posted by elba View Post
                          Thank you for the link Kite Runner- I hadn't dismissed it at all and I didn't mean to offend you. I have seen that site before. The cost of £30 isn't a problem as I have enough information to satisfy their requirements. I suppose I was looking at a researcher because the one I used last year did a turn around in a week and provided me with a cd record of all the documents (17 pages of them). Obviously whichever I choose must (these days) be cost effective as the old pension is pretty dire nowadays with the poor exchange rate!
                          Not in the slightest offended - I was just worried that you were going to be wasting your money paying a researcher if you didn't realise that the records you are after will not be available from the National Archives but can only be obtained from the Ministry of Defence via that form - the time taken for them to arrive will just depend on the M o D.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry I confused things by posting the link to our Advertising Forum.

Elba, Kate is right in saying that in this case you would need to use the link she has provided in post #4 as the records you are after would not be available at the National Archives - but I am sure the researcher I pointed you to would have told you this anyway as she is a well respected member of FTF!
                            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 24-02-09, 08:22.
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                              Hope its not Kevin as I've heard such good reports of his research. Whoever it is I hope they are feeling much better and is recovering from his ailments.
                              No - his name is Tom and he lives in Surrey. He does 'WW1 and Before' research.

It's just dawned on me what you are all saying (it's GOT to be my age which makes me so daft...) about "pre and post 1920" searches and the National Archives. Of course the researcher would have gone to the NA because my GG's service was from 1876 until 1901 so his record would have to have been there. But my fathers service was all after 1920.

So it looks like an application and a £30 cheque to the Army Personel Centre.
                              Thank you all!

Comment

I have my fathers service records from Glasgow and the did cost £30, but I had tried to research where he was and what he was doing from the war diaries held in Kew..

Unfortunately lack of preparation made the job difficult..I had all the information needed except I had not made a note of his company. . I had to follow A B C and D then D went somewhere else.. I followed A B and C ( three times the work ) as they stayed together...and fought at Kohima .. when I arrived home and checked I found out that he was in D .

I should have hired a researcher

Comment

Working...
                                X