X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackall Family from Henley Oxfordshire

Descendants of Edward Blackall

Generation No. 1

1. Edward BLACKALL married Sarah Unknown in Hedley Oxfordshire .

Known Child of Edward and Sarah is:

2. James BLACKALL, b. Abt. 1817, Henley, Oxfordshire.

Generation No. 2

2. James BLACKALL was born Abt. 1817 in Henley, Oxfordshire. He married Jane Unknown Abt. 1839. She was born Abt. 1821 in Hanney, Berkshire.

Children of James BLACKALL and JANE are:

i. Henry BLACKALL, b. Abt. 1840, Henley, Oxfordshire.
    3. ii. Caroline BLACKALL, b. 1844, Henley, Oxfordshire.
    iii. Amelia BLACKALL, b. Abt. 1847, Henley, Oxfordshire.
    iv. Elizabeth BLACKALL, b. Abt. 1849, Henley, Oxfordshire.
    v. Wiliiam BLACKALL, b. Abt. 1850, Bermondsey, Surrey.
    vi. Eleanor BLACKALL, b. Abt. 1853, Henley, Oxfordshire.
    vii. Edmund BLACKALL, b. Abt. 1857, Henley, Oxfordshire.

Generation No. 3

3. Caroline BLACKALL was born 1844 in Henley, Oxfordshire, England, UK.. She married James WRIGHT in High Wycombe Buckinghamshire on the 25th of Dec 1869. He was born 1850 in High Wycombe Buckinghamshire.

Child of Caroline BLACKALL is:

i. James BLACKALL, b. 14 Sep 1869, Marsh Wycombe Buckinghamshire.

Notes for James BLACKALL:

In the 1871 census James is listed as James B Wright.

Children of Caroline and JAMES WRIGHT are: all born High Wycombe.
    ii. Charles WRIGHT.
    iii. Walter Absolam WRIGHT Born 1st Feb 1873 in High Wycombe died 22nd of Oct 1954 in Victoria Australia. Walter was my Grandfather.
    iv. Mary WRIGHT.

Any Information received would be gratefully received

TIA

Regards

Alan Paul
    Victoria, Australia

Alan, are you trying to trace them forwards or backwards?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have information from the Marriage of Caroline Blackall to James Wright. I do not have anything however on James Blackall aka James Wright born 1869.

The only information on the BLACKALL family prior to then is gathered from Census information

TIA

Regards

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by awp_44 View Post
        I have information from the Marriage of Caroline Blackall to James Wright. I do not have anything however on James Blackall aka James Wright born 1869.

The only information on the BLACKALL family prior to then is gathered from Census information
        Alan, you would probably be best to get some more certificates to back up the info you have from the censuses before trying to trace the family further back.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Hi KiteRunner

For many years I thought Caroline Blackall's name was interrupted incorrectly on her Marriage to James Wright and she was infact Caroline Blackwell born in Stokenchurch in 1844. In the Registers I could only find a Caroline Blackall marrying James and posted messages on various boards and was told this was a common occurence for Blackall and Blackwell to be transposed. Her father on that Certificate was given as James Blackall.

The father of the Caroline born in Stokenchurch was Henry possibly had a middle name of James.

In the 1861 Census both Henry Blackwell and James Blackall occuption was listed as Butcher. This added to the confusion. I received information from a request for a Directory lookup request that seemed to point me to Henry Blackwell being the correct one and that his name had been entered as James. Having been previously informed that his name possibly was Henry James Blackwell I assumed that to be him. Just recently received a file after I sent my family file to a fellow researcher which started me to rethink my research.

Over the years I have bought many Certificates from the UK. In fact I am waiting for 1 now which will explain it all to me. But what I am trying to see if there is anyone with access to the Henley on Thames Registers which may be able to give me some information pre Birth Registration.

Another point that I may also make is that James and Jane Blackwall were transcribed as Blackwell in the Census of 1871.

Regards

Alan

Comment

Looking at the 1871 census, the Wright family are at the same address as James Blackwell the butcher, so at least that proves that the Caroline who married James Wright is the Caroline from James Blackwell's family.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, looking at the 1861 census I think I can see the Henry that you mean: Henry Blackwell age 50, born Stokenchurch, living in Chipping Wycombe, wife Mary, and one of their children is Caroline E Blackwell age 16 born Stokenchurch. They are obviously a different family from your Caroline's family, though could well be related. I would think your Caroline is the Caroline Blackall whose birth was registered Dec 1844 Henley, and perhaps Henry and Mary's Caroline is the Caroline Blackwell whose birth was registered in the same quarter in Wycombe district.
              KiteRunner

Comment

In case it comes in useful, a James Blackall, butcher of Henley, went bankrupt in 1852:

The Jurist ... - Google Book Search

Comment

Mary thank you for that link to the Jurist. It is definitely worth investigating. Since I found out last week that I have been following the wrong Caroline. I have downloaded all censuses and gone over all my data and found out where I made my mistake.

I have ordered a Marriage Certificate of Caroline Blackwell to Charles Hudson in Dec Qtr 1864. This I had believed was the niece of Henry and Mary Blackwell, but infact I now believe I will find out that she is her daughter.

Once I confirm that I will then start purchasing relevant Certificates of the Blackall's of Henley on Thames but am still interested in seeing if anyone has access to the Parish Registers.

Regards

Alan

Comment

If nobody has, you can always order them on microfilm from your nearest LDS centre:

FamilySearch.org - Family History Centers

Comment

There's some more stuff here about James's bankruptcy giving some previous addresses, which should be useful:

Search Results

Comment

Oh dear - in 1871, James's wife Jane was fined £5 for assaulting another woman, or 2 months' imprisonment if she failed to pay.

Comment

Thank you Mary for the Information re James and Jane. Could you please tell me were you got the infoamtion re Jane

TIA

aLAN

Comment

It came from an Oxford newspaper. I'll send you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X