John George Penny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John George Penny

I am trying to find parents of John George Penny born West Camel SOMERSET in 1806. My Penny's seemed to come from the Somerset/Dorset border area.
    I am new to family tree research and would be gratful for any tips!

Stu

I don't suppose he got married after 1837, did he?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

He married Eliza (Smith) born 1815 in Sherborne Dorset but I am not sure when. Their first child Maria was born 1837, so this is possible.

Comment

I can't see their marriage so I would guess they married before the start of civil registration.

The parish registers for West Camel don't seem to be online, so you would need to go to the Somerset record office to look for his baptism.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Where are you Stuart?

I live five mins from Somerset RO & if you are not in the area I am happy to do some look ups for you.
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Hi Vivienne,

I live in Devon. Although not a million miles away it will be sometime before I could attend the records office.............due to a new baby in the house spare time seems to be a thing of the past! lol.

Comment

Confussed Chrissy has Penny relations Stuart, and welcome to FRF hope you enjoy using it all good friendly helpful lot ;;
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thank you, Already pople are proving theirselves friendly which is great!
                I will try to find Confused Chrissy and see if he/she can help.

Kind Regards

Stu

Comment

I think she is away on holiday at the moment went last week if I remember right for 2 weeks , have you checked in the gedcom part of site to see if she has but her Gedcom onto it ???

Comment

No......not sure what a GEDCOM is........
                    I will try to find it though.

Thanks

Stu

Comment

Stuart have just checked for you and yes Chrissy has John George in her tree ;;;
                      if you put your pointer where GEDCOM is wrote on the blue line at top of thread you will see it says upload or search the gedcoms click on that and just write Penny into the search box ;;;

Comment

Thanks very much.

I will look right away.

Comment

Good hunting Stuart ;;;;
                          oh and if you want to send Chrissy a PM just click onto her name and then PM she will see it when she gets back ;;

Comment

Her name is Chrissy Confused, not Confused Chrissy, by the way.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Stuart,

I did a lot of look ups for Chrissy while I was able to in 2007 but ill health last year stopped me in my tracks. I'm coming right now so am able to go to the RO again.
                              I've checked the results I found for Chrissy & most of hers are in the Radstock area, her John George is much later than yours.

If you would like me to see what I can find for you, just say the word.
                              I could probably go in on Wednesday as long as they have a fich machine free.

Mind you the marriage could possibly be in Dorset as the bride is from there.

Comment

Yes please Vivienne.
                                I can not progress past this point, so would be very grateful if you can help. However money is short currently and I can not afford to incur a large bill for your research so if you could advise me as to the cost of your time I would be obilged.

I have listed my Penny line so that you can see if you can find the right John George Penny. Sometimes in the census he appears as George, sometimes as John but all other details match in each case.

John George Penny was bn 1806 West Camel. He married Eliza. She was bn 1815 Sherborne Dorset. They had 6 children. She died 1855 Rimpton. Same year as last child was bn. Could have been during childbirth.

Their son George Penny bn 1843 Rimpton. George married Martha (Brown). They had 5 children.
                                Their son Robert Charles Penny was bn 1879 Ruishton Somerset.

Robert Charles Penny married Sarah Anne Taylor. They had 3 children. Their son George Henry Penny is my Grandad bn 1905 Devonport Devon died 1979. Winkleigh Devon.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Stu

Comment

Stu did none of them match with any in the gedcom part them ????

Comment

Some names matched but the birth dates did not. Radstock is the hub of Chrissy's Penny's which a short distance away from mine. So I was hopeful. I have sent Chrissy a message, just in case. lol.

Comment

Good luck to you then when she returns she might have some distant rellies that she hasnt up loaded to site yet that might fit in somewhere ;;;

Comment

Originally posted by stuart Penny View Post
                                        Yes please Vivienne.
                                        I can not progress past this point, so would be very grateful if you can help. However money is short currently and I can not afford to incur a large bill for your research so if you could advise me as to the cost of your time I would be obilged.

I have listed my Penny line so that you can see if you can find the right John George Penny. Sometimes in the census he appears as George, sometimes as John but all other details match in each case.

John George Penny was bn 1806 West Camel. He married Eliza. She was bn 1815 Sherborne Dorset. They had 6 children. She died 1855 Rimpton. Same year as last child was bn. Could have been during childbirth.

Their son George Penny bn 1843 Rimpton. George married Martha (Brown). They had 5 children.
                                        Their son Robert Charles Penny was bn 1879 Ruishton Somerset.

Robert Charles Penny married Sarah Anne Taylor. They had 3 children. Their son George Henry Penny is my Grandad bn 1905 Devonport Devon died 1979. Winkleigh Devon.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Stu
                                        Bless you Stu, it doesn't work like that on here, we all help for the pleasure of helping not for fees. There is a very small charge for photocopying at the RO if would like copies but I'm happy to just write everything onto our pre printed forms & email them to you.

I'm hoping to go along tomorrow & looking forward to it. It has been so long since I've been well enough to go researching for folk.
                                        Last edited by Vivienne; 24-02-09, 10:32.

Comment

Working...
                                        X