Joseph Death, can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Death, can anyone help?

Someone please help I've hit the proverbial Brick Wall!

I'm trying to find my Great x2 Grandfather Joseph Death, I have him on the Census records from 1881 to 1911 giving his place of birth as Norwich around 1854, I also have his wedding certificate giving his residence as St Andrew the Less, Cambridge and his father as Charles but I'm having some difficulty in finding his Birth Certificate reference on Free BMD. the only ones that I can find are for the Cambridgeshire area.

Any ideas anyone?

What is the occupation for Charles on the marriage certificate.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi David welcome to FTF

There's a birth for a Joseph Death in Suffolk, could it be he was born on the county border?

Joseph Death 1854
      Hartismere September quarter 4a 446

Any good?

Joanie

Comment

There is also the possibility that the birth wasn't registered at all, it wasn't compulsory to do so at that time.

Joanie

Comment

Where have you found him on the 1901 census?

I think I have found him in 1891, with wife Mary and children - living in Ipswich Suffolk - Joseph giving his place of birth as Norwich.
          In 1881 I think the same family are living in Deptford, but Joseph gives his place of birth as Cambridgeshire.

1891 RG12; Piece: 1472; Folio 98; Page 16
          1881 RG11; Piece: 713; Folio: 22; Page: 8

When and where did Joseph and Mary marry?
          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 22-02-09, 21:01.
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

Many thanks for your reply, his fathers occupation was also a Hawker, it seems as though they were all Hawkers.

As for the 1901 Census he gives his name as John and to confuse matters in 1911 he gives his name as Jasaph!

David

Comment

Joan,

Thanks for your reply, the Hartismere Joseph isn't the one unfortunately, I have that birth certificate and the fathers name is given as Joshua when his father was called Charles.

Personally, bearing in mind the nature of the family business I'm putting my money on the fact that it wasn't registered. However, I'm going to have a trawl through the Baptism records for Norwich as it would appear that it was compulsory to register it with the church.

David

Comment

Elaine,

Many thanks for the help, as far as I can gather apart from a stint as a general laborer in Deptford he was a hawker all his life around Cambridge and Ipswich.

3 of the 4 Censuses give his place of birth as Norwich and 1 Cambridge.

The 1881 and 1891 Censuses give his name as Joseph, the 1901 Census gives his name as John and to confuse matters further, the 1911 Census gives his name as Jasaph! There's no mention of him in either 1861 or 1871.

I haven't applies for his wedding certificate as of yet however, I have his Sons Charles Edward where he's signed it Joseph.

His wifes name was Mary Ann(e) Loates also from Cambridge.

Other than this I can't tell you much more.

David

Comment

I see they married in Cambridge in 1872
                  Marriages Dec 1872
                  Joseph Death / Mary Anne Loates
                  Cambridge 3b 1249

.. wonder where he was in 1871!
                  Elaine

Comment

So do I, his address for the wedding certificate was listed as Old Gas Lane, St Andrew the Less, Cambridge but I still can't find him on the 1871 Census!

David

Comment

Getting confused here - do you have his actual marriage certificate - if so isn´t father´s occupation on it?
                      Elaine

Comment

Interestingly there is a Dinah Death in 1871 living in Gas Lane, St Andrew the Less - occupation Hawker.
                        Have you tried following her backwards and then forwards again?

1871 RG10; Piece: 1586; Folio: 71; Page: 3;
                        Elaine

Comment

Looks as if Mary may have lived in Gas Lane as well - ? parents John and Betty
                          1871 RG10; Piece: 1586; Folio: 73; Page: 8
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            Interestingly there is a Dinah Death in 1871 living in Gas Lane, St Andrew the Less - occupation Hawker.
                            Have you tried following her backwards and then forwards again?

1871 RG10; Piece: 1586; Folio: 71; Page: 3;
                            This might be the same person in 1861 - Ann Death - address is the same
                            RG9; Piece: 1024; Folio: 18; Page: 30

- shown with son Sabath born Norwich
                            Elaine

Comment

1851 HO107; Piece: 1760; Folio: 179; Page: 27

Diane Death and family, including a Joseph Death born 1847 Norwich.
                              I am beginning to wonder if he may have lied about his age somewhere along the line!

No father Charles found yet!!
                              Elaine

Comment

No help to you, but I have ancestors who lived in Gas Lane, Cambridge. You will be chuffed to hear that St Andrew the Less parish was very poor, lots of thieves, prostitutes and drunkenness!
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Really struggling to find them in 1841. You would think that with the various children listed in 1851 you would be able to find one of them! Mind you, if they were on the move then it´s possible they evaded the census!
                                  Elaine

Comment

How annoying - there is a tree on Ancestry for a Sophia Death, born 1839 - Long Melford, Suffolk - mother Diana and father CHARLES!

.. BUT when you click on it to view, it says it is no longer available. :(

presume she is this one from the IGI
                                    SOPHIA DEATH
                                    Christening: 14 JUL 1839 Long Melford, Suffolk, England
                                    Father: CHARLES DEATH Family
                                    Mother: DIANA
                                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 22-02-09, 22:41.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Don´t think I can find anything else - and of course no idea if any of the above is the right family anyway!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

Many thanks for all the hard work, unfortunately I can't add much more to this.

I have Charles 's occupation shown as "Hawker" on Josephs wedding certificate of 9 Dec 1872 funnily enough Marys father John is also shown as a "Hawker" (his wife was called Betty or Elizabeth).

As for the Dianah or Dinah link, I'm not sure either there seems to be a lot of Deaths around the Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire area which has proved to be very confusing as they all share the same christian names.

As for Josephs age, the wedding certificate just says "Full" whatever that means? So I can't rely on any dates or even places other than the Norwich link. I think it may be a trip to the Norwich archives to search the parish registers.

Thanks again.

David

Comment

Working...
                                        X