Recommendations for Web Browsers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for Web Browsers

Guess I'd better get with the program and find myself a new web browser - I am currently using Netscape (which I like a lot), but unfortunately there is no support for it anymore, as of about this time last year actually. With a combination of both Win98 and Netscape, my computer is slowly heading towards a slow death and doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things. I also have Vista and have Netscape loaded on there too.

So......I am looking for recommendations for a new web browser. I don't need anything fancy with bells and whistles, just something that will get the job done.

Netscape are promoting FireFox, as it is the closest to their own browser system

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Lots of people like Mozilla Firefox, Margaret.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My vote goes to Firefox.
        Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Though I would have thought your Vista computer would have Internet Explorer included anyway?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My choice Firefox, got a new laptop the other day (see my thread buyers beware) and promptly loaded Firefox on it, IE is always in the news for being "hacked". I find Firefox to be more stable (multi tabs & pages) and more secure that IE. IE hasn't seen the light of day on this 'puter.
            L

Comment

My favourite is Opera, because it's faster than the others, which makes a big difference when you're on dial-up like me, but there are some sites that it doesn't handle well (including Ancestry), so I use Firefox for those.

As the others have said, Firefox is the most similar to Netscape, and you'll find that the companion e-mail program, Thunderbird, is very similar to the Netscape mail program.

I wouldn't consider IE because of security problems.

Comment

By the way, if you do get Firefox, also download its Adblocker add-on, which will get rid of most advertisements.

Comment

Firefox for me as well.
                  Elaine

Comment

Flock for me, built on Firefox basis but so much better in my view

Flock Browser - The Social Web Browser

Comment

Thanks everyone. Looks like Firefox may be the way to go. I will give it a try and see how I like it.

I had problems WAY BACK with IE, so have just shied away from it altogether. I did look into Flock last year but wasn't too happy with it - just couldn't get it to do what I wanted. I don't use the email program with Netscape - I use Outlook Express on 98 and whatever the equivalent is on Vista.

Comment

Oh shoot......just downloaded Firefox and when I went to load it on 98, it apologized and said it would only work on 2000 and up. Off to search for an earlier version.

Comment

OK, I have downloaded version 2 for 98. Don't know if it differs greatly from version 3 (can't access the Vista for a while to check it out) but I am having trouble trying to get links and bookmarks to open in a new tab. There doesn't seem to be an option for that. Any suggestions?

Comment

Try CTRL-B

Comment

Oh sorry, I've just realised what you meant. I still have version 1, but it's probably similar: go to Tools - Options - Tabs and select Open links from other applications in a new tab in the most recent window.

Comment

I must have the bare bones version Mary - it doesn't have the selection you mentioned. May just have to make do with Netscape on the 98 as long as I can tab with version 3 on Vista.

Comment

Working...
                                X