How to import a Gedcom file from Tribalpages into FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to import a Gedcom file from Tribalpages into FTM

a friend has got his tree on Tribalpages but has now got FTM 2008 he says he cannot get the Gedcom file from Tribalpages to import into it any ideas ???
    Thanks

Has he managed to download it from Tribal Pages to his computer?
    Elaine

Comment

You save the GED file from tribal to your pc

then in FTM use the File > Open command and from the dropdown file type, select GED

FTM will then take the GED and create a .FTW file from it.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Or you can right-click on the GEDCOM file and select "open with Family Tree Maker".
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Or you can right-click on the GEDCOM file and select "open with Family Tree Maker".
          I do not give the 'right-click short-cuts' as it may not get installed as part of the Operating Systems' 'shell' when the application is installed.

Newbies will get confused if we give information that they may not see.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

thanks very much for your advice I dont know what he has done wrong will give him this info and let you know

Comment

You can't download a gedcom from a free site on Tribal Pages. Is his a paid site or not?

If not, then he will have to pay to be able to download.

Comment

hi Margaret he has a paid site I think will ask him thanks

Comment

Val
                  You should change the title on Eeyore's book to
                  'A 1001 PC problems'

:D

Researching:

Comment

lol Trevor but this isnt mine its a neighbours I am not that bad honest figured out my Laptop problems were due to the Router I had its fine now.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      hi Margaret he has a paid site I think will ask him thanks

If he does have a paid site Val, then he needs to go into "edit". Then under files, it says back up/ download. Click on that.

If it doesn't allow him to do that, then it isn't a paid site. Paying up would then allow him to download.

Proves the point of always having the master copy of your tree on your own PC not an external website.

Comment

hi Margaret he didnt have a Tree programme before thats why he did it on Tribalpages and he has managed to download the gedcom its just that it wont import into FTM
                        But he has now said he gets the message
                        The Path does not exist ?? which I believe means something has been moved ???? and it cannot find it ??

Comment

Yes, it sounds like that, Val. He might be best to start again from his downloaded GEDCOM, or even download it again if he has lost the file.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thanks Kite he has had so much trouble with his programme he has been in touch with TWR and nearly sent the thing back as it would not work for some reason he still has trouble it takes literally ages to open for him ??? which doesnt sound right either does it ???????
                            I am wondering whether he may be better off uninstalling the whole thing and reinstalling it ?? what do you think ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              hi Margaret he didnt have a Tree programme before thats why he did it on Tribalpages and he has managed to download the gedcom its just that it wont import into FTM
                              But he has now said he gets the message
                              The Path does not exist ?? which I believe means something has been moved ???? and it cannot find it ??

Post #16 http://www.familytreeforum.com/famil...ps-guides.html=Filepath error message

The file never existed in FTM to start with so it doesn't have an associated filepath.
                              Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 23-02-09, 12:43.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

It sounds as if he is opening the FTM program in the hope that it will find the right file itself.
                                What he needs to try is downloading the gedcom to his desktop, or to a designated folder in My documents - then right clicking on the file and using OPEN WITH - FTM
                                Elaine

Comment

ooh thanks Glen and you are probably right Elaine LOL I never thought of that

Comment

done now thanks

Comment

Working...
                                    X