Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ledgers

Hi again

thanks for the advice on sites to get information. However now we have three or four possible choices - is there a place to go where we can see the ledgers to ensure we have the right entry before ordering certificates or do we have to order certificates and hope for the best.

Are there ledgers on birth death and marriages at Kew to look at before ordering certificates

Thanks

John and Barbara
    ;)

John, what exactly do you mean by "ledgers"? do you mean the BMD indexes or the actual certificates? As has been said on your other thread, there are various websites and libraries, record offices etc where you can view the indexes, but you can't look at the actual certificates without paying for them (unless you are lucky enough to be able to get to the record office which holds the church registers for the church where a marriage of interest took place.)
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And the large volumes of quartely indexes that used to reside at the Family Records Centre and its predecessors at St Catherine's House and Somerset House went into storage, never?? to be seen again.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think you are referring to the old ledgers you could look at Somerset House/St Catherines House many years ago which held the indexes for the Births, Deaths and Marriages. Register Offices hold the ledgers for their own area but are not usually accessible to the public.

Afraid these are now on fiches at certain libraries or online subscription sites except for FreeBDM which only go up to about 1930 (ongoing project). FreeBMD - Search

The Birth Index - say Mar qtr 19** would look like this

Name Mother's Maiden Surname Register Office Reference

Smith John Guest Wakefield 9c 50
        Smith John Taylor Barnsley 9c 336

See link below

Online Research - Family Tree Forum

As they only show the indexes you need to get as much info as possible from the information you have to hand - ie birth certificates which gives mothers maiden name , marriage certificates with gives father's names to narrow the down the date and place of your search.

It might be worth your while taking advantage of the 14 day free trial with Ancestry (once you've got yourself organised) but make sure you cancel before the expiry of it or your card will be charged for the full subscription.
        Last edited by JBee; 22-02-09, 21:42.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

John

You've already had one thread about this, titled (I think) Family Record Centre closed, which several have replied to.

Hope the answers here help.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
          X