Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats his uniform and year?

Hi Everyone

This is my grandad and I want to know what uniform it is and what job with possible date of photo.

Hi Brian

Do you know where it was taken?

Comment

Granpa appears to be wearing sea boots............

Comment

Silly question was granpa english as this uniform look foreign, german perhaps?

Comment

Mmn yes, you're right Barbara. A sort of foreign merchant navy?

Comment

no I dont know where the photo was taken. he was born between 1901 - 1903
            if that helps

Comment

Do you have his marriage certificate or one of the children's birth certs?
              His occupation will be on there.

Comment

The more I look at that photo the more I am convinced it was taken in eastern Europe somewhere.

Comment

This is his marriage cert

Comment

Does that say theatre manager?

If so, was that a stage costume and the backdrop a set?

I have a photo of my great uncle in naval uniform. He was never in the forces, he was a music hall entertainer.

Comment

Those boots he's wearing look almost Russian or Turkish/Greek/Maltese.
                      The building in the background doesn't look British - again possibly same as boots? That looks like a Tumbril by the side of him - don't think we really had anything equivalent here like that, except perhaps on a farm - and he's not in a farmyard.

We're in fact talking of late 1920s/early 1930s when this pic was taken I reckon.
                      OH suggested possibly The Lancers on a foreign posting - but he looks 'at home' where he's standing.
                      Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Does his occupation say theatre manager????

Comment

I don't think that he is wearing a british uniform, it looks like the kind of stuff Greta Garbos love interest would wear in one of her films, sort of Ruritanian.

Comment

Snap Barbara

I'm wondering if he was acting in the photo.

Comment

Just seen the certificate.

So I wonder if he'd been abroad before this? IAs he's in Liverpool quite possible he had been. Or as was said - it's a stage set - but somehow I don't think so, it all looks too real - and that wagon is too real, let alone getting it on/off stage!

I wonder what theatre he was Manager of at the time. Looking at history of Liverpool could help.
                              Dorothy G

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                                I don't think that he is wearing a british uniform, it looks like the kind of stuff Greta Garbos love interest would wear in one of her films, sort of Ruritanian.
                                That's a thought! Perhaps a Movie - with the backdrop and a fairly real wagon in the foreground..... he's certainly handsome enough - touch of John Gilbert about him
                                Dorothy G

Comment

Don't know if it is Liverpool Dorothy. That address is Liverpool Street, can't make out where.

Comment

Maybe your right in saying its a stage costume i dont know can't seem to find him we dont have his birth cert and this is as close as we have got to finding him in the 1911 census but still cant be sure its him for 100% but theres a lot of plus points

Comment

Brian are you still there?

Where was this marriage?

Comment

Travelling theatre manager!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X