Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anybody help?

Hi all,
    I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem i have concerning my maternal gt grandmother.
    My problem is i think she had a bigamous marriage to my gt grandfather, in 1911. They lived in Aston, birmingham but they got married in Hereford. On the banns the first entry says Rose Cox, widow. This entry is crossed out and the next entry states Rose Gordon, spinster. My grandmother, was born 1912, her birth certificate states her mother's maiden name is Gordon, but i can only find her on the 1881, 91 and 01 census as Rose Gordin.
    I know my grandmother had a half sister called Emily, dont know if her surname was cox or if she took my gt grandfather's name of Stokes. I can only find an Emily Cox born in 1905 in west bromwich( 6b 890). How can i clarify if she is my Emily without buying the birth cert? I don't want to wait a week just to find out she isn't the one.
    I know this is a bit of a long winded explanation, and i hope you can folow what i'm trying to ask. Any help would be very gratefully received

Have you tried looking for the family on the 1911 census?

There isn't really a short cut to finding out whether that is the correct birth registration, sorry. The only way I can think of would be if the local BMD site for that area had mother's maiden name on the index pre-1911 but I can't find anything for that one.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have you looked for a marriage between Gordon & Cox?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That's a good point - perhaps she was never legally married to Mr Cox, in which case her marriage to your great-grandfather wouldn't be bigamous. Also Emily could have been registered under the surname Gordon or Gordin.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Is the only reason you think the marriage is bigamous because of what was written and crossed out in the banns book? I can't think that she would have said she was a widow and changed her mind and not had this challenged.

Comment

Marriages: 1903 Sep West Bromwich 6b p.1344

Rose Armenia Gordin
            Henry Harrison
            Caroline Jessica Shaw

so one groom, maybe the elusive Mr Cox is missing

Comment

A Rosetta Gordon was born in Jun qtr 1876 in Aston 6d _62

An Emily Elizabeth Gordon was born in Jun qtr 1874 in Aston 6d 295

Is that the right timeline?

or

Another Emily Elizabeth Gordon was born in Sept qtr 1894 in Aston 6d 293

Rose E Gordon was born June qtr 1911 in Aston 6d 304

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
              X