Spanish Armada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Armada

This is a very long shot. After researching a branch of my family for ages, I have a new bit of information that suggests my ancestor may have arrived in the UK as part of the Spanish Armada. I will be visiting the National Archives in London to look at State Papers, which may help, but I'd love to know if anybody knows of any records of prisoners from the Armada and where I can access them.

I would imagine that any papers that do exist from that time will be at the National Archives. I very much doubt anything will be online.

Comment

The Spanish Armada : Sir Francis Drake

if you scroll down does list various ships and sometimes what became of the crews (hanged; settled in the area etc)
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

same site says

"A quite startling feature of the “Spanish Armada” was the contrast in treatment Spanish prisoners received from the English depending on where they were captured. Spanish officers and crew taken in the Channel or wrecked on the Scottish coast seem to have been treated with consideration and repatriated as soon as Parma sent a ship to collect them. ...those taken by the English in Ireland after escaping from their foundering ships were all hanged or beheaded, other than very senior officers. "
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you so much for your helpful replies so far. I'm going to visit the National Archives next month and Little Neil's post is particularly helpful in narrowing down the extent of my search there, as I understand that my ancestor was Castilan, and I now know which ships were Castilan.

Comment

That should, of course, be Catilian

Comment

Many people from the Armada ended up in Ireland, so don't forget to research any Irish History in that direction as many survived.

Janet

Comment

Somewhere.......and it could take a little while to find......lol....I have an old book with loads of info about that era.

A lot of it could be online now, but I got it years ago when I found one of my rellies was the nephew of John Hawkins and went to Mexico with him where he was taken as a slave. Before that I had no idea that any English were taken as slaves but I had never thought about it.

If I can find the book, I'll have a look and get back here.

Try Google Books as well. They often have things not available on "normal" Google.

Comment

Working...
                X