Email Character Conflict Box ~ Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Character Conflict Box ~ Help

For an reason unknown to me I have tonight begun to intermittently get a pop-up "message character set conflict" box as I send an email message.
    It gives me some choices on sending (two of which I don't know what they mean). Message Character Set Conflict, Send as Unicode, Send As Is, Cancel to edit.
    I have not changed any settings. I recently changed my ISP to a Talktalk account and have sent a number of emails without this problem until today.
    I am getting this problem tonight both on Windows Mail and my Gmail account.
    Can someone provide a fix for this confusing pop-up? What does this mean and how do I correct it?
    Last edited by Margaret N; 21-02-09, 21:08.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

The message means that there is some text in the message that is not compatible with the encoding that the message is using. In Gmail, go to the Settings link (top right) and check that the "Outgoing message encoding" section has "Use default text encoding for outgoing messages" selected. I don't know what your Windows Mail interface is like, but if you can find the encoding option, it should be set to something like Western European.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Margaret, is it when you create a new message or when you reply to a message?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite,

It is when I create a New Message - but since posting this message I have been able to send today's emails. On the subject line I had text that read like this Linda's House. I changed it to read Lindas House and the email went both in Windows and Gmail.
        I removed the ' but this may just have been a coincidence.
        Cannot say that I like it reading like that but cannot win them all.
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Working...
        X