Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker family in Kent

Hi,

I received a marriage certificate today and was hoping if anyone could help me trace one of the people on it:

The marriage is between Charles Walker and Alice Harriett Davis on January 27th 1912 in Northfleet Kent. I want to research Charles' father Albert Robert Walker. All I know is that he was a carpenter and may have been born around 1860 ish (I am only going on the fact that Charles was born in 1885)

Can anyone help me find Albert Walker? He may have lived in Dover Road, Northfleet as this is where Charles had been living.

Thanks!

There's this birth:

Births Sep 1860
    WALKER Albert Robert Maidstone 2a 4_4

(page number would need checking!)

then Albert is called Robert in 1861 and his dad is Charles a Carpenter:

RG9; Piece: 501; Folio: 16; Page: 25

1971 still Robert:

RG10; Piece: 1647; Folio: 84; Page: 9

I can't find him in 1881 at the moment, but in 1871 the family were in Essex, so this may well be the marriage of Albert Robert:

Marriages Dec 1882
    Davis Mary Ann W. Ham 4a 3
    Parkins Rayner Savill W. Ham 4a 3
    Walker Albert Robert W. Ham 4a 3
    White Elizabeth Annie W. Ham 4a

I can't see Robert in 1891 either yet, but I think these are his children John aged 7 and Charles aged 5

RG12; Piece: 642; Folio 46; Page 13

and in 1901 Robert thinks he was born in Ilford (prob why I can't find him on the 1881 and 1891), where he was living in 1871! He has John aged 17 with him. Robert is a carpenter:

RG13; Piece: 702; Folio: 63; Page: 7.

I can't find Charles in 1901 yet either!

still looking...........

Comment

I think the marriage may be to Elizabeth White as John and Charles are with a White uncle in 1891.

I wonder if this is her death?:

Deaths Jun 1885
      WALKER Elizabeth Annie 24 Romford 4a 164

possibly in childbirth:

Births Jun 1885
      Walker Charles Romford 4a 297

Comment

I think this may be Elizabeth in 1881:

RG11; Piece: 1705; Folio: 136; Page: 14

and her birth:

Births Mar 1863
        WHITE Elizabeth Annie W London 1c 50

Charles Walker b 1886 in Ilford is living in Dartford district in Kent in 1911, so that's promising (still can't see him in 1901)

Comment

Thank you so much for your help! Funny that you have come back with the name WHITE as the story goes that Charles Walker was born in Ilford, Essex and brought over to Kent on a horse and cart with a man known as 'Chalky White'. We think the name Chalky came from the place 'Chalk' in Kent. We believed that Chalky brought Charles up but we had no idea as to his identity/relationship.

Comment

Oooh so they are the right people!! lol

Well, a John White has Charles in his house in 1891. I thought John White should be the brother of Elizabeth White (as Charles is "nephew") but I'm having trouble with the White family in earlier years! John is a paper mill hand and they are at Swanscombe in Kent.

If you are sure Charles was b in Ilford, then the way to go must be his birth cert to confirm his parents and then a longer look at the censuses to find all those missing people. How often do families get scattered and missing when the wife dies young? It makes finding them so much more difficult.

Comment

Charles is still with the Whites in 1901. He is down as grandson of John White's parents (they were visiting in 1891 - I wonder if they just stayed!!) and he's been recorded as Charlie White, which might just be a mistake on the part of the enumerator!

Comment

I am now wondering if I have the wrong birth for Elizabeth Annie. I have found the White family in 1871:

RG10; Piece: 807; Folio: 95; Page: 6;

and they have a dau Ann b 1863ish but in Surrey, not London. That might mean I had the wrong young woman in the 1881 census who I chose mainly because she was b London and was a servant in the right place to meet her husband for an 1882 wedding!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  I am now wondering if I have the wrong birth for Elizabeth Annie. I have found the White family in 1871:

RG10; Piece: 807; Folio: 95; Page: 6;

and they have a dau Ann b 1863ish but in Surrey, not London. That might mean I had the wrong young woman in the 1881 census who I chose mainly because she was b London and was a servant in the right place to meet her husband for an 1882 wedding!
                  Obviously I don't know that Ann is Elizabeth Annie at all, as the Nephew relationship given in 1891 might be a vague one rather than an exact one! lol

Comment

The mystery unravels!!!

On the marriage certificate I have for Charles (in1912) his witness is listed as John Robert Walker who I had assumed was his brother and you have confirmed.

The rumour was that Charles was born in Ilford but no one knew for certain as another rumour stated he had been brought up by an uncle known as "Chalky White".

My father in law has confirmed that Charles' mother did die in childbirth so everything that you have said about elizabeth annie is very promising.

The name 'Charlie White' is interesting also as I believe the rumour was he did go by that name but Chalky referred to him as Walker

Comment

I would say Elizabeths death and Charles birth are the correct registrations, also the marriage of Charles parents. That cert would tell you more about Elizabeth.

This must be the birth of Charles' brother:

Births Jun 1884
                      Walker John Robert Romford 4a 299

Your family stories really bring them to life, don't they?!!

Comment

They really do! I started researching my maiden name Robotham at Christmas and hit a dead end. So whilst sat waiting for a birth certificate I began researching my husband's side of the family. His father had some amazing stories and Charles Walker had been the stumping block for him. The family before him were a complete mystery and I really didn't think any of the stories that I had heard would help but remarkably it's all coming together. Your help is really appreciated!

Comment

My parents had a neighbour whose surname was White and he was always called Chalky. The Leicester rugby football team had a coach at one time called Chalky White, I think the Chalky nickname is attached to the surname White because of the colour of chalk, rather than because of any cliff connections.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was just going to post what Nell posted, about Whites always being nicknamed Chalky, but I won't now!

OC

Comment

Working...
                            X