Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage of Harriet Merrick to unknown Ferrar/Farrars

hiya,good morning..
    thanks to a Wiki page Jess gave me this morning I have found 10 burials of my ancestors at St Nicholas`s church in Norton Canon...this was great info for me and I`ve added their burial dates to my tree .. .one of my ancestors was Harriett Merrick born 1822 Norton Canon...she is buried as
    Harriett Ferrar died July 28th 1887 aged 65,youngest daughter of the late John and Sarah merrick..(I have her as the ONLY daughter...more research...lol).
    so I now know Harriett married a FERRAR ...in the same list of burials there is a family of FARRARS...So I suppose it could be either surname...taking that Harriett married after the 1837 records began I thought her marriage would come up on freebmd....no luck...can anyone possibly find this marriage please between Merrick/Ferrar or Merrick/Farrars.about 1840...I would appreciate a little help...cheers...allan;)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Okay...I have just been to freebmd and all I done was put Ferrar in the surname for marriages....ONLY ONE CAME UP ....and it was for 1838 in Weobley...this is the district for Norton Canon ,so I am 95% sure that this marriage for John Farrar is the marriage for Harriett Merrick...could someone please try and confirm if John Farrar married Harriet Merrick in 1838 in Norton Canon,Weobley district please.....thanks...allan;)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Doesn´t look like it Allan - eight names show up and Harriett isn´t one of them.

I´m struggling to find anything as well!
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but there's a Harriet Merrick, born c. 1823 in Norton Canon, unmarried, living in Norton Canon in 1881 with her unmarried brother John (aged 56, retired tailor born Norton Canon), and niece Harriet (umarried, aged 27 born London) .

Comment

thanks Elaine...do you think I am clutching at straws with the 1838 John Ferrar marriage in Weobley ?....allan
          ADDED...thanks Mary....definitely buried as Ferrar and Harriet was b 1822....let me check her brothers names and dob`s...back soon...allan
          John b 1825 died march 18th 1884 aged 59...ok so why is Harriet buried as Ferrar and on the census as Merrick....puzzled now ..lol...its never easy is it ?....allan
          Last edited by garstonite; 21-02-09, 09:24.

Comment

The 1881 census shows Harriett Merrick born c 1823 Norton Canon - single - housekeeper - living with brother John, aged 56
            RG11; Piece: 2599; Folio: 48; Page: 3;

The IGI shows a christening for
            HARRIETT FERRAR MERRICK
            Christening: 12 NOV 1822 Norton Canon, Hereford, England
            Parents John Merrick and Sarah

- so I think this is your burial!
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
              thanks Elaine...do you think I am clutching at straws with the 1838 John Ferrar marriage in Weobley ?....allan
              Yes!
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but there's a Harriet Merrick, born c. 1823 in Norton Canon, unmarried, living in Norton Canon in 1881 with her unmarried brother John (aged 56, retired tailor born Norton Canon), and niece Harriet (umarried, aged 27 born London) .
                And there's a death reg in the name of Merrick too:

Deaths Sep 1887
                Merrick Harriet 65 Weobly 6a 289

Comment

IGI - parents John Merrick and Sarah

SARAH MARRICK
                  Gender: Female Christening: 05 JUN 1818 Norton Canon, Hereford
                  HARRIETT FERRAR MERRICK
                  Gender: Female Christening: 12 NOV 1822 Norton Canon, Hereford
                  JOHN EDWARD FERRAR MERRICK
                  Gender: Male Christening: 20 MAR 1825 Norton Canon, Hereford
                  THOMAS FERROR MERRICK
                  Gender: Male Christening: 21 OCT 1819 Norton Canon, Hereford

- looks like Ferrar is a family name - maybe mother´s maiden name ??
                  Elaine

Comment

IGI - possible marriage

JOHN MERRICK / SARAH FERRAR
                    Marriage: 18 MAY 1815 Sarnesfield, Hereford, England
                    Elaine

Comment

Is this from a gravestone?

Harriett Ferrar died July 28th 1887 aged 65,youngest daughter of the late John and Sarah merrick
                      Those are just her forenames!!

Comment

Here's the matching death for Harriet:

Deaths Sep 1887
                        Merrick Harriet 65 Weobly 6a 289

Comment

WELL DONE GIRLS I don`t know how I`d cope without you....I get it now...I thought the headstone inscription was her married name not her middle name....so neither Harriet nor John married...why would they put youngest daughter ??...if she looks like the only girl...because she was the youngest child ??....thanks again to all of you....allan;)

Comment

Allan - see post #9 - it looks as if she had an older sister called Sarah.
                            Elaine

Comment

I bet sarah died, and she ( Harriet was it? ) grew up as youngest daughter.

All this from a Coppice- I'll go & hide!
                              Jess

Comment

LUV IT JESS...you started all this...lol...ok...yes the older sister Sarah...haven`t got her in my tree...just to let you know that the mother Sarah died aged 36 on 15th May 1825...about 8 weeks after the christening of her youngest born John....how sad....allan;)

Comment

Bless
                                  did dad remarry? Lets not even wonder!!!!!!!! :D
                                  Jess

Comment

he died 1842 aged 55 and he /Sarah his wife/Harriet and John are all in the same grave together...thanks again Jess...that was great info from the Wiki...cheers...allan;)

Comment

By the way, Allan, if you find out that any of your Merricks come from Leicestershire, let me know, because my BiL has a treeful of them.

Comment

Hi Mary ...thanks for your help....I have 41 Merricks in my tree...ALL from within a 10 mile radius of Norton Canon...95% of them from Norton Canon...I went to Norton Canon last Whit week-end....its such a tiny village ..can`t imagine where they all lived....but it appears on the Wiki page Jess passed on to me that they owned 88 farms/fields many with cottages and houses on them and many with orchards......cheers but none in Leicstershire I`m afraid....mine seemed to be well off unlike me ..lol......I`m now going to check on Marianne Merrick(Oakes) year of death ...she married Daniel Oakes in 1874 and had 10 children here in Garston..the last one in 1894 when she was 42...intrigued to know where she was buried....cheers...allan;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X