1940 Newspaper Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Newspaper Search

I have a family mystery I am really keen to resolve with your help - if possible.

A couple whose deaths I have found in 1940 (FMP) shows that whoever registered them didn't know them well enough to know their ages. I don't believe they were married but obviously died together, I would think! They are Robert McMillan and Jean McMillan, they died in the third Q of 1940 and ages given are 60-70 and 35-40 in Deptford. Could this be the result of a bomb? Does anyone have access to newspapers for this period in London? McMillan was his name and sometimes spelled MacMillan. I will be sending for the certificates but I thought someone on here might find something I have not - so far
    Buttercup

I would think it could be from the Blitz Buttercup.
    Here's a link to the Blitz.

Timeline: The London Blitz 1940-1941
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thanks Daphne I think so too
      Buttercup

Comment

try googling 1940 explosion deptford. It's thrown up quite a few websites and descriptions.

such as

September 7th 1940 - The Aftermath

Comment

Thanks Peppie, I'll give it a go I will send for the certificates too, I've been hesitating for some reason. :D
          Buttercup

Comment

are they father and daughter/neice? do they show up on freebmd?
            angelina
            Angelina

Comment

Until I get the certificates I won't know the relationship, not sure he is even who I think he is! Sorry to sound so vague Angelina - I'm off to order them, not resolved but this has helped me to decide to spend £14. I may come back once get them. A living person is involved and I need to tread lightly

:D
              Buttercup

Comment

why not go for Jean's certifcate first and it may say her father is Robert - only cost you £7 then. If its not then you can go for Roberts certifcate too a few days later.
                hope you get what you are looking for.
                angelina
                Angelina

Comment

I thought of that but since their ages are so unclear it's likely the rest of the information will be unkown - hmmm, you're right I'll get one and then the other if necessary!

Thanks
                  Buttercup

Comment

Is there any chance that the Register Office concerned is one of the more helpful London ones? That way you could specify the search criteria more closely than via the GRO.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sorry for the delay John. It's Deptford so not sure, I have sent off for one of the certificates anyway, today, I'll wait with baited breath now. Until I get it I won't know if I have the right people and possibly not even then. If they were killed in the Blitz, and it's likely, whoever found them probably didn't know who they were and they may never have been claimed. My imagination is working overtime, so I am hoping that the certificate will clarify at least who he was.
                      Buttercup

Comment

Working...
                      X