Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for John Wright

Wife's Grandfather - John Wright

Looking for his birth record and registration.
    Known details below.
    Married Mary Elizabeth Chilton 5/9/1914 at Pontefract Registry Office – age given as 36 years (born c1878)
    Father given as William Wright, deceased, Colliery Underground Manager.
    He enlisted with Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry KOYLI – no trace found in WW1 records.
    Died on 16/8/1916 (aged 38 years) in Clayton Hospital, Wakefield – Occupation was Coal Washer Motorman and a discharged private from 3rd KOYLI.
    Lived in Featherstone at time of marriage and death.

Cannot find on census returns for 1881, 1891 or 1901 with a father William.

The family believed him to be a Yorkshireman but nothing has been found to confirm this.

Only one I could find around the Pontefract area for 1881 was this, couldn't see him later
    1881 Pontefact Census Piece 4591
    Wright William 45 Head Coal Miner Prescott, Lancashire 1 Back Lumley Street, Whitwood, Yorkshire Wr RG11/4591
    Wright Ellen 40 Wife ? Wigan, Lancashire 1 Back Lumley Street, Whitwood, Yorkshire
    Wright Ada 9 Daughter Scholar Whitwood, Yorkshire 1 Back Lumley Street, Whitwood, Yorkshire Wr
    Wright John William 6 Son Scholar Whitwood, Yorkshire 1 Back Lumley Street, Whitwood, Yorkshire Wr
    Wright Joseph 2 Son ? Castleford, Yorkshire 1 Back Lumley Street, Whitwood, Yorkshire Wr
    Regards
    L

Comment

Same family in 1891
      RG12; Piece: 3763; Folio 63; Page 32

Household
      William Wright 55 - occ coalminer
      Ellen Wright 50
      John W Wright 16
      Joseph Wright 12
      Walter Wright 8
      Elaine

Comment

Ah! Elaine, that's why I couldn't find him, Castleford Piece 3763 is missing from system I'm looking on.
        Drat & Blast
        L

Comment

Can´t see them in 1901 at the moment! :(
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you LeClerc and Elaine. My wife has looked at the census returns you found and went on to find that John in 1901 where he was the head of household but married and a labourer, so another dead end. The brick wall is still there damn.
            Last edited by redtonyt; 21-02-09, 08:59.

Comment

Am I correct in thinking there were two children born to this marriage of John and Mary Elizabeth? In the unlikely event either are still alive, I won't post their names, but one after the death of John, registered in Q1 1917 and the other in Q2 1915.

I am wondering if you have the 1915 birth cert (in particular) as it might possibly have dad's army service number on it. As you haven't mentioned the service number I'm presuming you don't know it!

Comment

He enlisted with Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry KOYLI – no trace found in WW1 records
                Do you mean at Kew or on Ancestry?

Comment

Thanks Merry,
                  There were two children born to the marriage of John and Mary Elizabeth. My father was born in 1917 (John already having died in 1916) and died in 2002. His brother was born in 1915 and died in the 1970s. I don't have a copy of his birth cert and will follow that up. John's service number is unknown, and I cannot find any trace on Ancestry records. I have not been down the Kew route, but have contacted KOYLI Pontefract HQ, with no success. He was given a military funeral and is buried in Featherstone cemetery and, although not a war grave, it is possible that he died as a result of being gassed. He is remembered on the new Featherstone war memorial.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching a while ..

Regards, Wilma

Comment

Ancestry don't have the service records for W yet! (they do have other things like army pension records and medal cards)

We know a lot of service records are missing but without his service number it still might be tricky to know if you were looking at the right one, if it exists. There are several Medal cards for his name and regiment. If the birth cert doesn't have the army number then you may be forced to 1) wait until Ancestry has the Ws and 2) write down all the possible service numbers and go through each one in turn

Comment

Originally posted by redtonyt View Post
                      Thanks Merry,
                      There were two children born to the marriage of John and Mary Elizabeth. My father was born in 1917 (John already having died in 1916) and died in 2002. His brother was born in 1915 and died in the 1970s. I don't have a copy of his birth cert and will follow that up. John's service number is unknown, and I cannot find any trace on Ancestry records. I have not been down the Kew route, but have contacted KOYLI Pontefract HQ, with no success. He was given a military funeral and is buried in Featherstone cemetery and, although not a war grave, it is possible that he died as a result of being gassed. He is remembered on the new Featherstone war memorial.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching a while ..

Regards, Wilma
                      Wilma,

do you know if there is a headstone at his grave at all? that 'might' have his reg't number on it, I know you said it wasnt a war grave but even so, it might have his number on it.

and if he was given a mil funeral would their be a record of that somewhere? with a possiblity of his service number being with it?
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Darksecretz,

Sadly there is no headstone at his grave only grass. I have enquired of the local Yorkshire military and they can find no trace of John Wright in their archive nor his service records. They suggest the National Archive to trace his records which may give a record of his birth. I have not yet been able to get to Kew but hope to later this year.

Comment

Hopefully Ancestry will have the W army records available soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X