Windows Mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Mail

Unlike Outlook Express I am unable to make so changes to my Windows Mail.

1. I had three email addresses with my last ISP and directed them into my INBOX.
    2. Now I have changed my ISP I plan to set up two for myself and one for my husband. I just cannot see a way of changing identies now. How will I view my Inbox for the other email addresses. Changing Identities no longer exisits so what do you do if you want to keep the Identities seperate. I am the only user but why give you upto five addresses if you cannot access them.
    3. Finally, When sending an email with my new ISP when I Create new mail it comes up with my old ISP and I need to click through the long list to select the current one. How can I delete the old ones in the heading line of new email From: joe bloggs@....
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Margaret you can set one of your email addresses to be the default one cant quite remember how though, me and emails lately dont go together.

Comment

In my start-up menu I have 'Default Programs', perhaps you click on that.
      Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

It won't be default programs because that is to choose which program opens each file type. I remember looking at the help for Windows Mail and I think it said identities had been thrown out because you're supposed to use different login for each person, but that wouldn't really fit your situation. I'll have a look when I'm on the computer to see if I can find anything.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry, I've looked through the Windows Mail help but it doesn't explain about this kind of thing. I've never understood, from the time we switched from Netscape to Outlook Express (and that was a long time ago!), why Outlook Express / Windows Mail doesn't make it simple to use different email addresses for different things.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Oh yes, I've found the answer to number 3, I think. Click on Tools - Accounts. Then click on the email address that you want to be your default one and then you can click on "Set as Default" over on the right.
            KiteRunner

Comment

To delete an email account from Windows Mail or Outlook Express:

Select Tools | Accounts... from the menu.
              Go to the Mail tab.
              Highlight the account you want to delete.

Comment

Microsoft removed the very useful Identities feature from OE when it changed
                it to Windows Mail.

Steve Cochran has written a program that mimics this feature Windows Mail. This allows
                the user to impersonate different users and maintain segregated settings and
                message stores for each Identity within a given Windows user logon space.

This Identities capability can allow for a single user to have multiple
                settings, or multiple users can maintain separate settings and message
                stores within a single user space. (Note, however, that in such a
                circumstance, the other users can access each others' messages via Windows
                Explorer, so there is no security / privacy. That can only be achieved by
                different user logons.)

You can get the program here its cost $14.99

WMIDs

or just download thunderbird for free here Thats what I use.

Mozilla Thunderbird in English | Mozilla Europe

Comment

Hi Margaret,

I don't bother with Windows Mail. Instead I have installed Thunderbird which is FREE and similar to Outlook.

I've set mine up with a number of email addresses. Each email address has its own Inbox, Drafts, Junk, Sent and Deleted folders. In addition you can create your own folders for each email address.

All the email addresses are viewable at the same time and I just click on which ever Inbox/Folder I want (diagram below).

When I send an email, if it's not to be from my default email address then I just change it to which ever email address I want to send it from. You know you usually have a To:, CC:, BCC:, etc.. well there is also a From: which I click on to select a different email address to use as the address I want to send from.

The way mine is setup everyone who uses Thunderbird can see all the emails for all the email addresses but they are all separated into their own identities. I'm not sure if this is what you want but I find it is clear and simple to use.

Here is a link to an old thread of mine on how to install Thunderbird if you are interested:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/35800-how-install-mozilla-thunderbird-email-client.html

Comment

I had a crazy idea last night but I don't know if it would work - could you set the identities up on an older computer and then import them over to Windows Mail?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

I like that idea John am going to see if I can install it

Comment

No Kite you cant do that.

Comment

John, Nice to hear from you. I have just posted a message before I read yours. I am going to scrap Windows Mail.
                          What will happen to my present messages stored in Windows Mail? Do I just leave them there or import them.
                          I still use my Gmail and like that for a special purpose.
                          Wondering what will happen to IE7 and if I will still be able to have Google as my home page. I spend all my time making changes to Windows which is why I am interested in an Applemac but feel they are over priced in the UK.
                          Thank you for your help.
                          Margaret N
                          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Margaret,

You don't have to scrap Windows Mail. Just disable your email account on it so it won't pick up any more emails.

You can then add your email accounts to Thunderbird if you wish and let Thunderbird pick up your new emails (instead of Windows Mail).

If you want to see any old Windows Mail emails then just open it as you did before and the old emails will still be there.

You can set up your Gmail account in Thunderbird if you want. I have done this.

Nothing will happen to IE7. It will remain as it is, unless you change it. Google will remain as your homepage unless you specifically change it on IE7.

IE7 and Thunderbird and Windows Mail are different programmes and therefore not dependant on each other.

I don't know much about Apple Mac's so can't say whether one would be better for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X