Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions please Could a Farmer be classed as an Artisan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please Could a Farmer be classed as an Artisan?

I am looking for a Josephine Keegan born 1897 to a Patrick Keegan occupation according to the marriage cert ,Artisan
    Now have found a record on LDS in the Irish records on the 1900 Nevada census of a Josephine Keegan born 1897 Father Patrick occupation Farmer ???
    Wife Mrs Patrick keegan ????????
    Would you say this is just coincidence or is it likely?? and also how can I find out when and if they came to either Ireland or the UK after 1900 thanks

Val, can't help with the last part of the question - but I'd have said Yes - a farmer and Artisan could be the same.

An artisan is someone who makes things (usually with their hands), so in addition to regular farming tasks, he could have been doing something like making milk churns/baskets/hedges or etc. for others.

Farmers are pretty versatile handymen, and even more so then when every bit of money was needed, say at the time of a bad harvest.

OH is a retired farmer, and he can turn his hand to making virtually anything around the house or garden.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

thanks Dorothy can I borrow him then??? mine is useless

Comment

Val, have you checked the later US censuses to see whether that family stayed in the US?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

hi Kite thanks think I've found when Patrick arrived there in 1879 ?? have got them in 1900 and 1910 keep getting interrupted by Tom so will have another look later.
          Hope its them.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            thanks Dorothy can I borrow him then??? mine is useless
            :D Have to charge by the yard - he's 6ft 8ins - so as long as you feed him too!:D
            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

on second thoughts you can keep him thanks anyway lol

Comment

Working...
              X