Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time on birth cert?

Hi all,

Anyone know if a time on a birth cert always meant twins?

Just got one in post from 1842 with '8am' as part of the 'when and where'.
    I've only known it with twins.
    Can't see another birth registered and no other child on further censuses...would still count as twins if one was stillborn?

(I have had a case where 1 twin was not transcribed to registers but the local office tracked down the cert for me, but i could see both as kids in that case.)

1842 was still in the early days of civil registration ans some registrars just put the time of birth on all the certificates back then. Incidentally, if you ever get a Scottish birth cert they always have time on.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

some doctors put the time of birth as a par for the course.. whether the child was a singleton OR twin,

so no, not unheard of at all. (I have twins in my line too, but no time of birth on EITHER birth cert) I therefore concluded that the child that was first on the index was first born. I dont have any other way of saying, but I do know that they were twins, (the very kind vicar did actually state twins on the baptism register)
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 20-02-09, 11:46.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks guys, not desperately important if it was twins, just 'meat on the bones' !

Kite- I'll be venturing north of the border soon (in research!) good job you mentioned that. I'd have thought they were all multiples!!

Comment

I can confirm that single births sometimes have the time on. My 3x great grandad was born at 7pm in 1839 and his brother in 1838 also has a time on.

I also have a couple of deaths from the same district at a similar time and he also put the times on there. He also very helpfully told me that someone was 18 years, 4 months and 5 days old

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I have a time on a birth certificate in 1852, but it was on the 1st of January
            Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Petrina,

Enjoy your trip to Scotland.

Hugo

Comment

If there was a twin birth, but one was stillborn there shouldn't be a time on the birth cert for the surviving twin. BUT as has been said, many singleton births (and therefore a few single surviving multiple births) will have a time recorded.

If you look at the birth indexes for the Q and check the same page number as the cert you havem then check the page before and the page after, if there are no other births in the same surname you will know the cert you have is either the sole survivor of a multiple birth (ie any other babies were stillborn) or (much more likely ) a singleton birth.

Comment

Working...
                X