Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest Davis mariage to Alice

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone can help me with this?

I am tracing my huband's side of our tree back and have found his great great grandparents Ernest Albert Davis (b1865 in Rochester) and Alice Davis(b1868 in Strood). I found them living in Northfleet, Kent in the 1891 census with two children: Alice Harriet and James, then later in 1901 still in Northfleet with a further 6 children although James had died in that time. My father in law has confirmed I have the right people.

I am trying to find Alice Davis Snr. maiden name which the family think is Griffin but I cannot find an Alice Griffin anywhere. I found a marriage registered in 1889 for Ernest Albert Davis but no mention of spouse maiden name.

Any info, greatly appreciated!

I found that marraige on Freebmd and clicked on the page number that was highlighted and found an Alice Knott on same page. Not got ancestry so cant help any further sorry
    angelina
    Angelina

Comment

Thanks angelina,

I will take a look on ancestry and see what I can find. I am hoping the Grifin name came from their next door neighours rather thanactually being Alice's maiden name!

Comment

The marriage of Alice Knott is listed on ancestry on the same page as Ernest Davis' but looking in various census' she cannot be found. I have looked in the 1871 and 1881 by 1891 she was married.

Can anyone help?

Comment

There's an Alice Knott living with her parents in 1881, she was born in Chatham so the right place :

Piece: 1793; Folio: 30; Page: 23;

John Knott Head aged 44 Police constable born Dover Kent
          Sarah Knott Wife aged 44 "
          Alice Knott daughter aged 15 Pupil teacher born Chatham Kent
          Frederick Knott Son aged 14 "

Joanie

Comment

And here she is in 1871 :

RG10; Piece: 1688; Folio: 26; Page: 17

John E Knott Head 35 Born Dover
            Emma R Knott Wife 40
            Sarah Knott daughter aged 10 Born Dover
            Alice Knott daughter aged 5 Born Chatham
            Fredk Knott Son aged 4

Looks like Emma died & he remarried by 1881?

Joanie

Comment

There's a John Edward Knott marrying a Sarah Bartholemew in Dover in 1880 so she would be Alice's stepmother. Emma was her mother.

John Edward Knott
              1880 Q Oct-Nov-Dec
              Dover Kent Volume 2a 1645

Joanie

Comment

This looks like Alice's parents marriage:

Emma Ruth Boxall 1859 Medway Kent Sept Q 2a 546
                John Edward Knott 1859 Medway Kent Sept Q 2a 546

Joanie

Comment

Hi there
                  There's an Alice Knott on the 1881 census who was born in Chatham, Kent in 1866, which may be worth a look. Chatham's not far at all from Strood.
                  Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1793; Folio: 30; Page: 23; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341433.
                  BW
                  Karen

Comment

Originally posted by eponine2 View Post
                    Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone can help me with this?

I am tracing my huband's side of our tree back and have found his great great grandparents Ernest Albert Davis (b1865 in Rochester) and Alice Davis(b1868 in Strood). I found them living in Northfleet, Kent in the 1891 census with two children: Alice Harriet and James, then later in 1901 still in Northfleet with a further 6 children although James had died in that time. My father in law has confirmed I have the right people.

I am trying to find Alice Davis Snr. maiden name which the family think is Griffin but I cannot find an Alice Griffin anywhere. I found a marriage registered in 1889 for Ernest Albert Davis but no mention of spouse maiden name.

Any info, greatly appreciated!
                    To be certain you are on the right track you really need to obtain the birth certificate for Alice Harriet which will give Alice senior's maiden name on it. That way you can be sure whether she was a Knott or a Griffin!

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                    X