Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 19th February 2009 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 19th February 2009 is......

Tom Tom!!!

*runs screaming from thread* lol

Congratulations!!

Have a good week - if it's as fruitful as mine, you're in clover!! :D
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

*drags Merry back onto the thread*

Thanks Dorothy, I have a couple of tricky ones for them ;)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I have been unable to find anything more about John Hutchinson and his wife Sophia Parkin.

John was born in 1825 in Packington, son of William Hutchinson and Elizabeth (formerly Timms)
        Sophia was born c1839 in Barton on the Heath, daughter of John and Elizabeth.

They married on the 25th December 1855 in Packington, Leicestershire:

John Hutchinson 30 Bachelor Labourer Packington William Hutchinson Farmer
        Sophia Parkin 17 Spinster --- Packington John Parkin Tinplate Worker

Witnesses at the wedding were Anne Parkin (X) and John Wallis (Clerk)

Sophia signed her name, but John used an X.

They had three children all born in Packington:

Anne in 1857 (In 1871 Anne is in an establishment where they trained servants, she married in 1886 in Sussex)
        William Parkin 1856 - 1856
        Rebecca c1868 - Living with her grandmother Elizabeth Parking in 1871
        Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3250; Folio: 5; Page: 1

This is the family in 1861:
        Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2271; Folio: 57; Page: 11

John is living next door with his Mother and brother.

I cannot find what happened to John or Sophia or their younger daughter Rebecca.

Thanks for looking

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

OH heck

If Tom can't find them we have no chance ;);):p

Comment

I know it's not what you asked for, but in case he's one of yours, there's a 1730 will on TNA of Michael Hutchinson, Vicar of Packington.

Comment

In 1871 Rebecca is with her grandmother in Packington:
              RG10; Piece: 3250; Folio: 5; Page: 1;
              Elizth Parkins Head Wid 65 Knitter Derby Packington
              Rebecca Hutchinson Gd Daur Un 3 Scholar Leicester Witherly

There is a possible death for Rebecca in Sep quarter 1871 age 3 but it's Bingham district.
              Last edited by KiteRunner; 19-02-09, 23:39.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Rebecca is still with gran in 1881

RG11 piece 3142, folio 137, page 18

I wonder if this is her in 1891

Alice R Hutchinson age 22 servant b Witherley, Warwickshire (I'm getting a bit confused about the different counties)

RG12 piece 2501, folio 85, page 10
                Jackie

Comment

Forget about that possible death for Rebecca, because she is still with her grandmother in 1881.
                  RG11; Piece: 3142; Folio: 137; Page: 18
                  Elizabeth Parkins Head Widow 75 Packington
                  Rebecca Hutchinson Granddaughter 13 Scholar Witherley

(snap, Jackie!)
                  Last edited by KiteRunner; 20-02-09, 13:16.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Looking at the birth regs, I can't see one for a Rebecca but there is one for Alice Rebecca Hutchinson, Jun 1867, Atherstone district (the right district for Witherley), so I think that one Jackie found on the 1891 census is likely to be her - unless you have found a different birth reg, Tom?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      Looking at the birth regs, I can't see one for a Rebecca but there is one for Alice Rebecca Hutchinson, Jun 1867, Atherstone district (the right district for Witherley), so I think that one Jackie found on the 1891 census is likely to be her - unless you have found a different birth reg, Tom?
                      In which case I think this is her marriage

Q/E March 1896 Alice Rebecca Hutchinson and James Leonard Woods, Hendon Vol 3a page 213 and they are here in 1901

RG13, piece 1226, folio 126, page 21
                      Jackie

Comment

There is a possible death for Sophia

Sophia Hutchinson born c1838
                        1870 Apr-May-Jun
                        Atherstone
                        Volume: 6d
                        Page: 212

(although not sure if Atherstone reg. district would be a possibility for her)
                        Elaine

Comment

Was going to suggest this as a possible death for John but age is out by a couple of years - and would also expect to see him on the 1871 census, which I can´t.

Deaths Dec 1871
                          Hutchinson John age 49
                          Ashby Z. 7a 58

Update - probably not your man - there is another possible John Hutchinson of the right age.
                          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-02-09, 09:01.
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks for all this

That death does look likely for Sophia and I think the birth that has been found for Alice is in the same district? I need to go back to page one to check that.

The Hutchinson's are a real pain. I cannot find John's parent's marriage, and as it is before 1837 there is no index. I have looked in all the parishes I think might be likely, but need to have another look in some I might not expect them to be in. Luckily, I do know his mother's maiden name etc. from other sources.

New problem coming up. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                              I think that is probably her. Sophia died in that district as well.

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                              I know it's not what you asked for, but in case he's one of yours, there's a 1730 will on TNA of Michael Hutchinson, Vicar of Packington.
                              Thanks Mary, at the moment I don't think there is a direct link as the Hutchinson's came to Packington in the early 1820s from Long Whatton, Leicestershire.

Comment

The next couple of questions relate to a surname that is prone to mistranscription

Connelly. :o

Thomas Connelly and Caroline Walker married in 1850 in Hackney.

They had the following children:

Thomas, 5th March 1853 in Bethnal Green
                                Edward, c1855 in Bethnal Green
                                William, c1857 in Bethnal Green
                                Martha Matilda, c1859 in Bethnal Green
                                Frederick, c1864 in Bethnal Green

1861: Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 258; Folio: 4; Page: 31
                                1871: Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 331; Folio: 86; Page: 35
                                1881: Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 314; Folio: 14; Page: 22

I know what happened to Thomas, William, Martha and Frederick (and their parent's as well).

However, I am not 100% sure that what I have for Edward is correct.

I have it in my notes (from about four years ago when I started researching) that Edward married a lady called Martha and had nine children all born in Camberwell. I seem to remember that the way they spelt Connelly seemed to change into Connerly or something along those lines, so wasn't sure. If anyone can see what they think happened to Edward that would be great.

Comment

I presume you are referring to this marriage
                                  Marriages Mar 1883
                                  CONNOLEY Edward
                                  PLEDGE Martha
                                  Bethnal Green 1c 501

and Martha and Edward in 1901 with nine children
                                  RG13; Piece: 516; Folio: 48; Page: 33.

Trying to find them in 1881
                                  Elaine

Comment

The family that you found must be this one in 1901:
                                    Edward Connoley Head M 47 Foreman Horsekeeper London Bethnal Green
                                    Martha Do Wife M 38 Hackney
                                    Edward J Do Son S 17 Stable lad Do Bethnal Green
                                    Martha E Do Daur S 15 General Serv Dom Do Camberwell
                                    William H Do Son S 13 News boy Do Do
                                    Rebecca C Do Daur S 11 Do Do
                                    George A Do Son S 9 Do Do
                                    James A Do Son S 7 Do Do
                                    Florence H Do Daur S 5 Do Do
                                    Sarah Do Daur S 3 Do Do
                                    May Do Daur S 5 mo Do Do
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                      I presume you are referring to this marriage
                                      Marriages Mar 1883
                                      CONNOLEY Edward
                                      PLEDGE Martha
                                      Bethnal Green 1c 501

and Martha and Edward in 1901 with nine children
                                      RG13; Piece: 516; Folio: 48; Page: 33.

Trying to find them in 1881
                                      Yes, I think that is them Elaine. At least the ones I have found that might be Edward and Martha
                                      I know the easiest way to sort it out is to order that cert, and I will order some certs but I need to make sure as much as possible that it is the right one as I am a poor student ;)

Comment

This seems to be the same family in 1891
                                        - recorded as Johnson ????

RG12; Piece: 491; Folio 59; Page 41
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X