Australian Marriage Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Marriage Certificate

What information appears on a NSW marriage certificate from 1886?
    Searching the net I've found the marriage of a possible great great uncle.
    The last name is not common so I can trace the marriage --- the child -- the child's marriage -- the child's death. BUT you wise people have taught me not to just assume that this line belongs to me without first confirming. So will the marriage certificate show the groom's father, birth place, age etc etc.
    If so, then I will purchase it. Thanks for your wise assistance
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Their certs are very good.

They contain the names of both spouses and their parents, father's occupation and mother's maiden name, plus the age, occupation and birthplace of each spouse.

You can buy a transcription rather than an actual cert for about half the price from an authorised transcription agent:

NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 19-02-09, 19:54.

Comment

They also should have the place of birth of both parties and mothers' maiden names.

Comment

Sorry can't help with an Australian marriage certificate.

But a Victoria death certificate in 1860 the form had

date and place of death
        name and occupation of deceased
        sex and age
        cause of death
        parents names and fathers occupation
        signature, residence and occupation of information
        signature of registrar
        if burial registered when and where buried
        name and religion of minister or name of witness of burial
        where deceased was born and how long in australian colonies
        if deceased was married when and at what age and to whom
        issue in order of birth, their names and ages

In my case some of the information wasn't known and the children were all but one from his first marriage but gave his second wife's name only.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          Their certs are very good.

They contain the names of both spouses and their parents, father's occupation and mother's maiden name, plus the age, occupation and birthplace of each spouse.

You can buy a transcription rather than an actual cert for about half the price from an authorised transcription agent:
          NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages
          I've used Joy Murren, she's on the list, and found her very good, nothing was too much trouble to her, she kept me infomed to the searches she did for me and the transcriptions I required were soon e-mailed to me on each occasion.
          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about transcriptions.
            I've just emailed Joy Murren for information.

Bytheby I live in British Columbia - we got our name way back when because the Columbia region of the Hudson's Bay Company was going to be annexed by the US. So the northern section became the British Columbia. Right now the news coming out of Vancouver makes one think we should change our name to North Columbia. - there is one or two drug killings each day. So far no innocent bystanders although they have started in on family members.
            Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

A word of caution - not all marriage certificates will have the parents names and occupations.

Sometimes the minister performing the marriage sent only the bare details to the Registrar. I found my gggparents marriage cert with no parents or even occuaption for the groom, but these details were recorded in the parish register, which was held separately to the BMD registers. "England" or "Ireland" is not helpful for a birthplace and often all that is recorded

Diane
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

OH Dear
                Well my fingers are crossed that there is something on the certificate to tie the groom to the correct branch of my tree. Or that is $15 out the window. Well; live and learn.
                Donelda

Comment

I agree with Diane, not all certs give the parental information. My 2g grabdparents were both over 21 when they married and couldn't have put less marriage on their cert if they'd tried.

The church was some obscure one that no longer exists so I can't even check parish records.

Luckily on my 2g grandmother's death cert there was a bit more information although I will never be 100% sure I have found her parents.
                  Kit

Comment

Gee..............I must have been really lucky. Mine all have parents names, even mmn, and town of birth.

One of my English birth certs ghas the wrong father, though.

My very early Australian death certs don't have a lot of info but one was a death in 1802 and the very early birth ones are actually baptism certs.

Comment

i'm finding not heaps of info in my death certs.most of the less detailed ones are from the first settlers in my family. my germans don't know anything about their parents or grandparents. often place of birth and marriage reads 'germany'.might be helpful if they elaborated. my english and scot ancestors usually knew grandparents first names. no occupation or mother's maiden names.

vic and nsw bmd's are quite good. i've been researching for south australia, and find they have little info, and im reluctant to buy any, as they are $38 each, and that's before the $10 postage!!

hope you get some good info though, it's always good when a cert yields wanted information.

Comment

Working...
                      X