• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cambridgeshire district help please.

Hi all
    I have a relative who going on the info I have was born
    around 1812 Isle. Ely.
    I had got a cd for Ely St Mary's and have 2 options for him.
    One John Willis born in 1810 parents John and Mary Ely. Holy Trinity
    One John Willis born 1812 parents Robert and Eliz. Ely St Marys

I am not sure if Isle Ely is covered by Ely St Marys or
    if I need to order the Holy Trinity Cd

Glenda.

Ely has three parishes - St Mary, Holy Trinity and the Catherdral church which I think is dedicated to St Etheldreda and St Peter.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by Isle Ely other than the Isle of Ely. As you've seen there are two Ely churches as well as Ely Cathedral

Ely

as you have two candidates, I guess you need to see if you can firm up his birthyear from censuses, or see if he has clues like calling his children Mary or Elizabeth!

If he married after 1837 his marriage cert would have his father's name and occupation on it.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1851 and 61 have John Willis b. Ely 1810, so I would guess the first chap you have is him. Can't see the 1812 chap (though of course he might have been baptised in 1812 but born earlier).
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          1851 and 61 have John Willis b. Ely 1810, so I would guess the first chap you have is him. Can't see the 1812 chap (though of course he might have been baptised in 1812 but born earlier).

and then again, if the man on the census was baptised when he was two,then his might be the 1812 baptism!

I've been looking at the Cambridgeshire burial index (on the Cambs FHS website) to see if maybe one of these children died. No matches though.

Comment

Working...
          X