Not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not responding

Please can someone help me before my computer gets thrown out.
    I amon Firefox and updated last week (might not have anything to do with it)
    all i seem to be getting is my window not responding so it's ctrl/alt/delete to get the taskmanager up to end the programme which takes anything up to 10 mintues, this is driving me nutty. Any ideas why andthings are just running so slowly. I did a big clear out the other night well defraged, cleared temp files and cookies.
    Please help me :(:(
    Jen

Does it do the same problem on Internet Explorer?

Comment

Lol never thought about checking that. Will go and try now.
      Jen

Comment

I have opened IE and that is taking forever and a day to loadanything up typed in this web address when it opened but it's only 2 bars accross at loading it!
        Jen

Comment

Jennie.................I've been having that problem off and on for the last couple of weeks. I only have IE, but it is annoying.

Comment

Sorry to say this but i'm pleased i'm not the only one having problems.
            Jen

Comment

Could it be that your ISP is having problems at the moment? Who are you with?
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Heather has a thread going about this. Apparently the latest version of Firefox (3.0.6) is causing problems to a lot of people, so you're better off downloading an earlier version to use instead.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 19-02-09, 18:18.

Comment

and please dont say talktalk ??? as I have been having trouble too

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    Heather has a thread going about this. Apparently the latest version of Firefox (3.0.6) is causing problems to a lot of people, so you're better off downloading an earlier version to use instead.
                    Can´t imagine it is a Firefox update problem if Jennie is having the same problem with IE.
                    Elaine

Comment

I haven't followed it much, because I'm still using an earlier version of Firefox, but I believe it's a conflict between Firefox and other programs, and it is causing problems with other programs too.

Comment

sorry Wendy i am with Orange. Don't think there are problems around here but then who am i to say don't know anyone else here who is with them to ask.
                        Jen

Comment

mine is crawling along tonight have almost given up and its not Firefox its IE

Comment

Jennie,

I have been having similar issues, they are not browser dependant and do not appear to be tied to any one website either...

I suspect it is a general routing issue on the web... there have been reports of such issues over the last week or so...
                            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

I've just had my sister in law bring me her PC as it was running so very slowly, she has no idea when it comes to PC's.

She had a few Yahoo based advertising programs running in the background all the time.

Is your Hard Drive light on all the time ?? can you hear the computer making lot of quiet little clicking type noises, if yes then the hard drive is working away without you doing anything.

To check what programs are running, launch Task Manager, hold down CTRL & ALT keys at the same time and tap the delete key once, this will launch Task Manager, it should come up within 20 seconds, if it doesn't then something is amiss, when it does launch click on the Processes Tab and you can see what programs are running and how much power they are using, you can then take the appropriate action by stopping them running at Start Up.
                              Best Wishes
                              Ron
                              www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Hi I never know what programmes are safe to turn off ???? how can you tell

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  Hi I never know what programmes are safe to turn off ???? how can you tell
                                  Take a look at this website

How to use MSCONFIG in Windows XP: NetSquirrel.com

There's also another link on that site which tells you what programs use what names in msconfig.
                                  Best Wishes
                                  Ron
                                  www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Thankyou Grimsqueaker pleased in a way i am not the only person.
                                    Ron/Carol i have done ctrl/alt delete my god i can't get over how much is going on in the background my computer is nice and silent which is nice and there is the odd flashing of my modem but nothing unusual. I suppose i should have a look what all these programmes are running in the background now!!
                                    Jen

Comment

A safe way I've found is using the latest ver. of spybot. It has the option to disable programs starting up when windows start it also lets you know where the program resides and by disabling it you can re-enable it if needed

Comment

Working...
                                      X