Can anyone date this photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone date this photo?

Hi is anyone able to date this photo? Also does it give away any other clues as to the lifestyle at the time?

Thanks
    Attached Files

I've tried to blow these up a bit without much success. Is it possible if you can present them as larger images please as it will help one of the site's costume experts identify the period

I think one of your biggest clues is the name of the photographer L & W E Baker of 220 Deritend, Birmingham. I've found reference to them on this site Victorian Photographers List - Birmingham, Warks & others You might be able to find more by further Googling.

If you can find out the period of time they were at this address, then you can narrow down the period of time of the photo. This site may help Historical Directories

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
      I've tried to blow these up a bit without much success. Is it possible if you can present them as larger images please as it will help one of the site's costume experts identify the period
      The "attachment" option reduces the file size. You can post larger photo sizes using Photobucket. See this thread for instructions: How to Use Photobucket - Family Tree Forum
      Sarah

Comment

Hi
        I think this is the W E Baker in 1891. The address is 220 High St but the area is Deritend.
        RG12; Piece: 2403; Folio 45; Page 32;

Moggie

Comment

Ok not sure if I have done this photobucket thing right but here goes

Thanks for your replies so far hope this helps.

Comment

The photo isn't that clear, but those sleeves put her somewhere early 1890s, they went out of fashion about 1896.

Comment

i would say 1860,s brenda xxxx

Comment

I'm going to buck the trend and say I'd go for around, possibly even post 1900. I've seen photos of Bham female artists from the time of the Arts and Crafts movement, and the clothes and softer hairstyle remind me of that.

Birmingham happened to be at the centre of that movement of female artists who trained at the Art School, too!

Deritend is a 5 min walk from the Rotunda, and now is the area round the bus station!

Comment

The thing is, her hair do is very 1890s......

Comment

Thanks for your replies, do you think she has something in her hair or is it just a mark on the photo? I think it's my great grandmother who married in 1897 but I haven't found her birth but I would estimate born around 1877 putting her at 20 when she married but I may be wrong, not sure how old she looks on photo, she doesn't look very happy!!!

Comment

Hi there, I see what you mean, it does look as if she has some sort of ornament in here hair. Having your photo taken was a very serious thing you know, and you were not supposed to smile!.........

Comment

Surely it's no accident that the chair back is positioned to obscure her lower half. If she was tightly corseted we'd all say it was a typical 1890's picture. She does look rather anxious, doesn't she? Maybe she's concerned that if she doesn't get married soon she won't fit into her wedding dress!!!!
                        Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 04-03-09, 23:03.
                        Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Working...
                        X