Birth Cert for Ada Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Cert for Ada Bird

I ordered the birth Cert for OH's gt grandmother Ada Bird born 2/11/1861 in Bristol in the hope of finding Ada's mother Elizabeth's maiden name. No prizes for guessing which is the only word I can't make out on the cert!

On the 1861 census Elizabeth comes from Kendal (RG9/1723/84/15) born about 1834.

On the 1851 census Ada's father, Henry, is married to Hannah born Lowther about 1821 (HO107/2442/307/1) and living in Kendal. His occupation was a comb maker which he also states in 1871 and 1881.

Any help with identifying Elizabeth's maiden name would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Robert

Could be anything! Sannier, Hawick, Tavier? I couldn't see a likely marriage for Henry Bird and Elizabeth. Do you know when/if Hannah died?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think it ends in Y, but apart from that, it could be anything lol
      Tracy

Comment

Can't see a marriage on FreeBMD with a surname that looks similar ... tried 1850 - 1864 (all Counties)
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          Could be anything! Sannier, Hawick, Tavier? I couldn't see a likely marriage for Henry Bird and Elizabeth. Do you know when/if Hannah died?
          I can't see a likely death regn between 1851 and 1861 except perhaps one in Clifton Dec 1859.
          Robert

Comment

Robert,

is there any chance that you can post more of the cert up? so we can compare letters??

nearest I have got at the mo is either:

Sa_mier OR Sa_wier but comparing with what letters are available seems most likely
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

IMG]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp14/rkic/AdaBirdBirth001-1.jpg[/IMG]
              Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rkic View Post
                Bracket missing in rkic's previous post
                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

If you got the cert from the GRO you could try phoning the local office and asking them to have a look at the original.

Comment

Think it starts with T or F and ends in R. Tanner? Farmer?
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Does look like 'S' but could it be a 'T' ?

Comparing it with the 'T' at the beginning of 'Thirteenth'

Comment

I've just looked at all the Elizabeths b Kendal on the 1851 census of the right age, looking for names ending in R. Hmmmmm, surprisingly few.......nothing looks likely!

Comment

I didn't want to start with my attempt at reading it in case it misled anyone. Comparing letters I thought it started with a 'T' and ended 'me' see "formerly"

Thanks to Rachel for correcting my clumsiness with the link.
                          Robert

Comment

:( There's an Elizabeth Terner/Turner ... 1851 census

Comment

Definitely ends in r, compare the r in formerly.

The first letter is the same as the one just out of sight top right hand corner. S, I think, but depends what THAT word says!

OC

Comment

Like Rachel says the S and T are very similar....

I now think it does say TANNER or TANNIER but as I dont know where she was born I cant check..
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It might have said Turner on the original I suppose. Def worth contacting Bristol Reg Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    The first letter is the same as the one just out of sight top right hand corner. S, I think, but depends what THAT word says!

OC
                                    There isn't anything more in top right corner. I think that letter is the end of an abbreviated Frederick.
                                    Robert

Comment

There is an Elizabeth Tamer b1834 and 2 Turners b 1836 and 1835 in Kendal in 1841
                                      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

I've just found an Elizabeth Tanner/ Tunner/Turner aged 7 on the 1841 census for Kendal.

Thanks to you all for your help.

I think a call to the local RO to confirm is the next step and then a hunt for a marriage.....
                                        Robert

Comment

Working...
                                        X