Help With Milne!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Milne!

I am researching the Milne side of my family and have become stuck. I know my gt.gt grandfather died in 1952 aged 76 and married mary buckley aged 29 in newcastle-upon-Tyne. I believe he was born in Oyne, Aberdeenshire but for the love of god cannot find him! I know his father's name was George and that he was a farm servant. James was a bricklayer I think.
    Anyone that can give me some tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Hello and welcome

Can I just clarify, you're looking for James Milne born c1876 with father George - possibly in Aberdeenshire?

Do you have his marriage certificate?
    Tracy

Comment

There is a James Milne in 1881, born Oyne. His father is not listed, but his mother is Eliza. Looking at 1871, her husband is George.

Ref: Parish: Oyne; ED: 2; Page: 7; Line: 11
      Tracy

Comment

There is a George, farms servant, on the 1901 Census in Oyne:

Adress Maxhill, Oyne, Aberdeenshire

George Milne, 63, born Aberdeenshire, Oyne

Eliza Milne, 63, wife, born Aberdeen (Town)

Robert Milne, 22, son, born Oyne, Aberdeenshire

Comment

In 1901, James is listed as living with his brother Alexander and family. They're in Lanarkshire.
          Parish: Maryhill; ED: 42; Page: 19; Line: 1
          Tracy

Comment

Two Possible marriages, but cannot find a baptism for James

GEORGE MILNE
            Spouse: ELIZA KEMP
            28 NOV 1861 Oyne, Aberdeen, Scotland

GEORGE MILNE
            Spouse: ELIZA CHRISTIE
            01 JAN 1867 Oyne, Aberdeen, Scotland

Comment

If you search on Scotlands People - Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople - you can download his birth cert.
              Tracy

Comment

Some of the siblings baptisms are on the IGI. His mother was Eliza Kemp.
                Tracy

Comment

Hi everyone
                  Thank you so much for all the infomation you have found and passed on, this has been a remendous help and I am very grateful to you all.

Regards
                  Gemma

Comment

Do let us know how you get on. And then let us have the next piece of the puzzle!
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Update

Hi Everyone

I have been able to get the birth, marriage and death certificate for George Milne and am beginning to search for Eliza Milne's details. I have also found a website which has the inscription on their grave in Oyne.
                      I have also managed to get the names of George's parents, John and Helen (i think off top of my head).
                      Thank you to everyone who gave me help and thank you to Uncle John for your interest.

REgards

Gemma

Comment

Hi Tracy

Thanks for your replys but can I just ask about your last reply, whats the IGI?

Comment

The IGI is part of the website that the Mormon church set up. It has a lot of baptisms and marriages, but very few burials. Find it here: FamilySearch.org - Search

Not all baptisms are on there, so don't be surprised if you can't find one.

I should add, the site has two lots of information - Extracted records and Submitted Records. Extracted are more accurate as they are taken directly from the parish records. Submitted are entered by anyone and should be treated with care as there is a higher probability that they will be incorrect. The only way to know for sure is to check with the originals.
                          Last edited by Orangeblossom; 23-02-09, 22:38.
                          Tracy

Comment

Working...
                          X