Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison to Police Force!

Hi,

Just a quick quiry about my 3rd Great Grandfather, Joseph Darrall.

I have found an entry in the London Gazetta, for 1839, which tells me he is in prison (bankruptcy). He was a Butcher, which I know he was!

I know from christening's, the 1841 Census, and one line in the Birmingham Police Records, that Joseph served in the police force from about 1839 to about 1842.

I had it all set out in my mind that it was possible, but I was talking to someone the other day who said it would never have happened!

But can he be the same person? Would a victorian society allow a prisoner to become a police man?

Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

I wouldn't have thought so, but you never know. I guess you would need to get the policeman's service records to check its the same chap. I think they should be in the county archives, if they have survived.

It would make an interesting story for FTF magazine if its true!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Certainly some convicts transported to Australia became policeman there, but I don't know if it was possible in England.

Comment

Just looking at the Gazette - the 1839 entry reads as follows:

Joseph Darrall, late lodging in Hospital-street, Birmingham,
        Warwickshire, out of business, previously Retail Brewer.— In the Gaol of Birmingham.
        Then there are two more bankruptcy entries in the 1860s relating to Joseph Darrall the younger of Miller Street, Birmingham, butcher.

Comment

I doubt they'd be running the character checks you have today. I've heard it said that half the original police force were sacked on day two for drunkenness, which suggests that the criteria may not have been as high as we would like to think.

Was he a policeman on his local patch, so to speak?

Bear in mind that Mr Dombey in the Marshelsea Prison may have been a character full of failings, but nobody regarded him as an actual criminal.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Tippin

Have you seen the 1862 mention of Joseph Darrall in the same Gazette it does mention the address that Joseph Darrall was at in the 1841 census.
            WendyP

Comment

Hi All,

I have checked with the Police Museum in Birmingham, and the only mention of Joseph is one line in their accounts. He was dismissed in the early 1840's, but no reson is given. I know he is my ancester, due to christening and census records.

But the one in the prison also seems to be him. From his children's christening records he was an Iron Founder, Retail Brewer & Butcher, Policeman, and then a Butcher again. I have checked with Birmingham Archives, but they have no records for the debtors prison, although it would not be the first time they have give my wrong information. I will check at Warwick when I go next week.

All the records I have point to him being the same person, but it is a little odd!!

Tippin

P.S. The latter Joseph is my 2nd Great Grandfather. The Gazetta also included's details of Joseph Snr's brother Benjamin and Joseph Jnr's brother John!
              Families Intrested in
              Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

I think debtors' prisons weren't in the same category as those for thieves, murderers etc.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                X