Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding a 'missing' man.

Morning all,
    I hope you can help me. I was pointed in the direction of familytreefurom as I am told that the level of knowledge is higher than other boards I have been using previously.

I have a huge mystery in my family and really want to find the end of it.
    The basics are:
    Stanley Malcolm Robert Gardner, born 25th Aug 1888 in Broadwell, Oxon to William & Martha Gardner. Married Priscilla Shepherd on 25th Dec 1909 in Littlemore, Oxford. By 1915 they were living at 12 Sidney Street, Oxford (where Priscilla stayed until her death). Stanley served in WW1 - receiving the British War & Victory medals for his trouble.
    Sometime in 1913 I believe, he started working for the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (taking a break for service 1915 - 1919), until he retired in 1961. He took various promotions over the years, and for a time was in residential employment there.
    In 1947 he was still living at the museum - he was the witness to his mothers death (address on death certificate).
    I lose him completly after he retires.
    He doesnt appear to go back to Sidney Street to be with Priscilla - she is listed alone on electoral rolls.
    She dies early 1968, Stanley is not the informant of her death, nor did he purchase her grave, and is not mentioned in the notice in the paper for her death. She is buried alone in a 2 person grave. As far as I can tell there are no children from the marriage. She is listed on her death certificate as 'wife'. I know that this doesnt indicate truth, but its the only thing I have to go on that he is still alive in 1968, and that they didnt divorce.

I have certificates / census information to back up everything I have found so far.
    I have checked the BMD records for his death, and am currently re-going over the originals from 1961 to present day - or as far as they go.

Any suggestions / help GRATEFULLY received.
    I really want to put Stanley to rest, I have been trying to find out what happened to him for some time now.

Thank you in advance.

Karen

Hello Karen and welcome to FTF.

Long shot, but as he was a long term employe of the Ashmolean, he probably got a pension from them. Have you tried that avenue? They may be able to tell you when he died (and where!)

OC

Comment

Thanks OC.
      I contacted them a while back when I first received his mothers death certificate as I was a little confused about him living at the museum.
      They gave me quotes out of various 'yearbooks' about his employment and retirement, but I never thought to ask about a pension.
      I will try contacting them again.
      Karen

Comment

Warming to the pension idea...maybe, if you are a reasonably close relative, the DWP might be willing to tell you when he stopped receiving his State Pension.

Apologies if you have already done the following - have you looked at all areas for his death and at all possible mispellings of Gardner. I always think death certs are the weakest link in the chain, as the information is only what the informant has been told, and if the informant is a stranger (say he died on holiday, in a hotel, for instance) then the information is a best guess.

Also, I would push your search backwards to 1947. His wife's death certificate has the same drawbacks - the informant only knows what they were told, and his wife may have not known he was dead, if they were long estranged, or may not have cared to tell anyone.

Don't rule out divorce, either. After the war, no woman would have broadcast the fact she was divorced.

OC

Comment

Have you tried looking for him in the phone books on Ancestry?

Comment

I would have thought that a long-term Ashmolean employee would have merited an obituary. Do they have archived in-house magazines/newsletters?
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

What was his particular area of interest? He may well have belonged to antiquarian or natural history societies which might have lists of members, reports of dinners, obituaries etc.

I belong to one such and am constantly regaled by tales of someone who was "a good egg" in the 70s, 50s or even Victorian times. It amazes me how long a reputation may last.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

He may have gone abroad can you check passenger lists?
                angelina
                Angelina

Comment

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, I have been out, so only just seen them. Sorry.

I will re-search back to 1947 also. When I originally looked for the registration of his death I am 99% sure that I looked at all possible mis-spellings, but am re-going over everything again, just so that I can be absolutely certain.

I will try contacting the department of work and pensions also to see if they are able to help, as he is a blood relative. Fingers crossed.

I have emailed the Ashmolean again this morning, so will wait for their response.

I tried looking at passenger lists, but there are so many on ancestry etc that its quite mind boggling.

His posts at the museum included porter, foreman, resident caretaker etc.

Comment

How would I do about investigating the possibility of a divorce?
                    Thanks

Comment

Also, would be have received a war pension?
                      If so, how would I find out about this?
                      Karen

Comment

Have you seen his WW1 service records on Ancestry? Interestingly they are in the name of Malcolm Robert Stanley Gardner. If he preferred to be known as Malcolm any death registration may be in that name.

I can't see any war pension records
                        Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,
                          I have got copies of his service records.
                          I saw that he signed up as Malcolm too. As I re go over the death registers, I will be re-looking at 'Malcolm' too.

Comment

Still no luck so far.
                            Am just getting referred all over the place.
                            Where did you end up Stanley???

Comment

Working...
                            X