Mother's Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's Name

Joseph Thompson was born 22/9/1825 at Sprowston Norfolk he had an older brother John who was also born at Sprowston 27/2/1823.

Their Father's name was John who was born 25/1/1791 at Pockthorpe Norfolk.

Their Mother's name was Susan or Susannah she was born circa 1791 at Bradwell or Bardwell Suffolk.

I am trying to find Susan's maiden name and the date and place of her and John's marriage.

By the 1851 census John and Susan are living at Aylmerton Norfolk both aged 60.

If anyone has any information on John and Susan I would be very pleased to hear from you

Peter

Hello Peter,

welcome to FTF!

firstly I would look at either Hugh Wallis site OR www.familysearch.org

possibly around 1813 for the year of marriage, start in the brides parish, then work outwards, you might just get lucky!!

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

IGI has submitted entry marriage for Joseph Thompson to Susan Mortimer
      25 DEC 1823 , Norfolk with no information about where.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Peter

Welcome to FTF.

I had a look at freereg, both baptisms you mention are on there and John snr is noted as a weaver, if the marriage was at Sprowston then it could well be they are still to be transcribed, the freereg coverage page shows that the AT's are not yet online.

I did try a soundex search too just in case but nothing obvious jumps out under Thomson or similiar either.

There is also another set of Thompson family baptisms at Sprowston just a handful of years later, father noted as Francis and again a weaver...possibly a relative? Agian no marriage listed but worth noting as you may find a clue through the names of witnesses at some point.

Join the queue for freereg updates methinks
        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 19-02-09, 17:11.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

There is little reliable info on the IGI re Norfolk. (None of it comes directly from parish registers)
          Norfolk FHS have produced a CD of marriages in the period. I have lost my copy, but someone else may be able to help. Otherwise it's a case of waiting for freereg, or off to the Record Office, as the banns may be in Sprowston even if the marriage wasn't there.
          Norfolk FHS has also produced indexes of some marriage licences which might be of help.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Peter
            There are only 2 marriages of a John Thompson in Norfolk Marriages 1801- 1837. This also covers Bradwell if that was where Susan came from.
            John Thompson & Susan Clarke 27th July 1805 at Cranworth---far too early &
            John Thompson & Susanna Burton 8th Nov 1811 at Hanworth.
            Moggie

Comment

Phoenix, I've found several entries in the Norfolk registers that have appeared on the IGI, so I'm confused as to why you say "(None of it comes directly from parish registers)" ?
              Bren

Looking for
              WIDDOWS (Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia)
              SOUTHGATE, TURNER, EBBAGE (All Norfolk)
              COXHEAD (Canada)
              WADE (USA)

Comment

Bren, if you check them out, they won't be taken directly from parish registers, but from transcriptions of the parish registers - Norfolk is one of the counties where the Bishop didn't give permission for extraction work to take place. Many of the entries are perfectly reliable, but I was baffled why one didn't appear in the parish register it supposedly came from.... until I found the microfilmed transcription that was the basis of the entry: they hadn't spotted that two entirely different parishes were on the same reel.
                Devon is another county with the same problem.
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for the info Phoenix.

I'm a little lost now :o where did they get the microfilms from? and how can you tell that the entries are not from the registers?

I guess all my source entries are wrong and will have to be updated now
                  Bren

Looking for
                  WIDDOWS (Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia)
                  SOUTHGATE, TURNER, EBBAGE (All Norfolk)
                  COXHEAD (Canada)
                  WADE (USA)

Comment

The ones I know about are all transcriptions done many years ago by local societies.

If you ever get the chance, films of the original registers are well worth looking at because the vicars included such a wealth of detail. Not quite as good as some of the Yorkshire registers, but pretty close.

Comment

Thank you all for your contributions some interesting information.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                      X