Buying a birth cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a birth cert

Does anyone know if it costs more than £7 to buy a birth cert if the GRO number isn't known?
    Elizabeth Mary Anderson seems to have been a very common name and there are too many entries to decide which one might be mine. I know she was bn abt 1855 in Newcastle upon Tyne and I also know from census and her marriage cert the names of her parents. Do you think this will be enough?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Yes, if you're buying it from the GRO it will cost more than £7. I don't suppose she had a full sibling with a rarer name whose cert you could order instead?
    But I can only see one Elizabeth Mary Anderson birth in Newcastle on Tyne 1854-56 listed on FreeBMD and only one on Newcastle BMD
    Historical searches
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Jules

Newastle BMD is pretty complete around that time. I had a similar problem with several people of the same name and ordered the cert. from Newcastle. I seem to remember I was able to specify the parents' names.

Historical searches

or you can access it via the ukbmd site.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        Yes, if you're buying it from the GRO it will cost more than £7. I don't suppose she had a full sibling with a rarer name whose cert you could order instead?
        But I can only see one Elizabeth Mary Anderson birth in Newcastle on Tyne 1854-56 listed on FreeBMD and only one on Newcastle BMD
        Historical searches
        I thought I saw more than that, but I've looked at so many lists and references lately for this woman and her family that I think I'm seeing double now :o) Just looked again and I wasn't sure whether to include the entries for just Elizabeth as well as E M. I might just bite the bullet and go for the most obvious one.

Thanks for your reply Kite

She had a brother George bn abt 1860 but I can't pin down the entry for him.
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
          Jules

Newastle BMD is pretty complete around that time. I had a similar problem with several people of the same name and ordered the cert. from Newcastle. I seem to remember I was able to specify the parents' names.

Historical searches

or you can access it via the ukbmd site.
          Thanks for that link UJ. I'll see what I can find.
          Jules

Comment

Working...
          X