Marriage registered in Norton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage registered in Norton

I have found a registration for a marriage in 1941 in Norton. The reg number is 5c/1779. Could anyone tell me where in England that would be?
    Thanks.

There's a Norton Radstock in Somerset. Not sure if that's it though, Lyn.

You know how much I know about Pommieland geography....lol

Comment

the volume 5c appears to cover Somerset (Bath, Taunton, Yeovil, Bedminster etc) but also places like Redruth, Clutton, Liskard and Penzance - so a very wide area.

Freebmd says "The district Norton is an alternative name for Norton Radstock and it is in the county of Somerset"
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
        There's a Norton Radstock in Somerset. Not sure if that's it though, Lyn.

You know how much I know about Pommieland geography....lol

Mine, too!! LOL!!:D

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
          the volume 5c appears to cover Somerset (Bath, Taunton, Yeovil, Bedminster etc) but also places like Redruth, Clutton, Liskard and Penzance - so a very wide area.

Freebmd says "The district Norton is an alternative name for Norton Radstock and it is in the county of Somerset"
          Thanks for your reply, Dicole.
          I looked on UKBMD and there are 13 listed just as Norton, all over the country! And about 30 odd with a second part of the name after Norton!

These folks were from London, so my guess would be that it would be the closest to there, but which that would be I haven't a clue. That's why I added the number, hoping someone would know the area.

Comment

I always thought Norton as being the one in Somerset - there are a couple there - but the Radstock one was shortened to Norton - what happens if you click on the area in Free BMD - doesn't it tell you?
            There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

It is not transcribed in FreeBMD yet and they only show Norton Radstock, but UKBMD have lots of them

Comment

Under Free BMD there's a marriage dated Mar 1940 and that is 5c/1799 - (Dix Alec C) Norton District - if you click on that one it states Somerset.

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
                  Under Free BMD there's a marriage dated Mar 1940 and that is 5c/1799 - (Dix Alec C) Norton District - if you click on that one it states Somerset.
                  Thank you Marion. Somerset it is then. Is that too far from London?

Comment

From Norton to London I'd say about 100 miles - is that too far?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
                      Thank you Marion. Somerset it is then. Is that too far from London?

I would think it's too far. The opposite side of the country, Google maps say that it is 120 miles away from London.
                      Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 19-02-09, 11:07.

Comment

LOL!!! Gracious, I wonder if it is the right one, then? Guess I will have to send for it to find out!
                        Thanks.

Comment

Lyn

There is a Norton near Daventry in Northamptonshre which is much nearer London. There is a book written about this place called "The Green Lanes Of Norton" I have the book somewhere in my library. Do a google on Norton+Northamptonshire to see if it fits your bill. Maybe about 5o miles from London as an approx guess.

Janet

Comment

Just an afterthought my folk were from Northants and all moved to London, a very easy straight run in to the capital.

But if it is Somerset then remember there is also a Midsomer Norton.

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 19-02-09, 11:27.

Comment

Sounds like the best idea - there are some marriages transcribed in Free BMD in 1941 in Norton - just depends on who you are hunting for and whether they fit!

Comment

Remember also that 1941 was blitz time in London and a very difficult time all round. Ask yourself some questions about whether or not he was in any of the services? Northants had a few airfields and was far enough out of London to avoid the London Blitz. Many people were evacuated or evacuated themselves to the West Country at this time so Somerset is quite a possibility.

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 19-02-09, 11:43.

Comment

Thanks Janet, but I will have to send for the cert to be sure...was just trying to save a few quid for now....it will open my tree a bit more if it is the marriage I am looking for. I only have one name, so need to see her father's name to be sure.

Comment

Lyn

You can save yourself some money by putting a check on the back of the form ie by just stating the father's name so if father's name is Joe Bloggs and you put the check name of Joe Bloggs and the cert is in the name of Art Last then you can save half the cert money as they will not issue the cert unless it matches with your Joe Bloggs. I hope this is clear!

Janet

Comment

Yes, Janet, I will use her father's name as a check.....but I had not even thought about the war!! Don't know why that slipped my mind!.

Comment

Working...
                                      X