Bristol places question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol places question.

I'm fiddling with OH's tree until I can find some more info, so thought I'd have a look at where they lived.

I've googled (web and images) and found some of the buildings, but I'm not sure if they are the same actual buildings or not. I'd love some idea of what they looked like when the Ariel family were there.

The addresses I have from wills 1770 - 1840 are....

Ashley Estates,
    Berekley Square,
    Brunswick Square,
    Landsdown Villa (next to Buckingham Chapel) Clifton
    Brentry House, Westbury, Clifton
    Carlton Place, Clifton.

Their business addresses were
    Corn Street, Bristol
    Wine Street, Bristol.

I've got some of them on maps, but would love to know what they may have looked like in the era they lived there.

Berekley Square, Brunswick Square are georgian squares.

<http://www.eurobookings.com/bristol-hotels-gb/berkeley-square-classic-hotel.html?label=gg_en_bh_231061-united-kingdom-bristol-berkeley-square-classic-hotel&gclid=CM6xm7uR55gCFQpTtAodu18kdA>

Wine Street was bombed during the war, I think it was mostly half-timbered buildings, 15th centuary onwards

Lansdown Villa is probably a bit like these

<http://www.dezrez.com/DRApp/Search.ASP?WCI=Particular&WCE=001348368>

Hope these links work!

Nicky

Comment

Thanks Nicky.....

I can't get the links to work, but I can type them in.

I did see that Berkeley Sq Hotel........would that be the same actual building do you think???
      Do you know if they were like a terrace type home, so there would be one huge buildings with a few families living in their own part of it???

Comment

Yes all of Berkley Square is individual terraced houses, tho some are bigger than others. 1 family would have originally lived in each house (5 floors), nowadays they are mostly flats

Comment

Thanks...

Puts a bit of a picture together of their lives...

Comment

I once had a summer job in a coffee shop in Corn Street Libby. It was the banking area in the days when I was growing up. You've probably already come across the fact that the expression "paying on the nail" supposedly originated from the "nails" outside the corn Exchange in Corn Street - if I remember correctly, they would have been there some time mid to late 1700s.
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I think that Ashley Estates must have covered a large area, as there are lots of streets with Ashley in them. most of the houses there are georgian (from 1730 ish) and victorian, then further away from the centre of Bristol 1920's and 1930's houses

Comment

I don't recall mention of a Brentry House. I remember it as mostly housing estates round there.

(We were there every Sunday after mass for our weekly sweets as it had the only shop open on a Sunday in those days!)

Did Westbury fall into the Clifton area at that time? They are about 5 miles apart.
                Gillian

Comment

There still are lots of banks in Corn Street !

Comment

Just wondering if St Peter's hospice was Brentry House

Comment

The Ariel family were East Inda and West India merchants in the late 1700s early 1880s The ads I've seen for their auctions and sales have their business in Wine Street and Corn Street.

They left property in Brunswick and Berkeley Sq and in 1799 Myles Ariel gives his address as Ashley Estates, near Bristol. The Ariels were involved in some land and development of Ashley Estates in the late 1700s.

The other addresses in Clifton are mostly from the early to mid 1800s.

I would love to see what their homes may have looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky L View Post
                        There still are lots of banks in Corn Street !
                        I worked in Carwardines there Nicky. I don't suppose the company even exists any more. The building was very old, with a really scarey ancient cellar lol

I wonder if the market would have been there too in those days? And The Rummer?

Clifton is a lovely area Libby!

Ooh I'm having a wonderful wander down memory lane! I went to school in Clifton and caught my bus home from Park Street, just outside The Berkeley, to Coombe Dingle, which is about a mile beyond Westbury.
                        Gillian

Comment

Park House wouldn't be Clifton park House, would it, Gillian......they had that one too.....lol

Glad you are having a nice trip down memory lane.

Comment

No Carwardines has long gone. there used to be one in Clifton too, at the top of the Mall on the corner. Its a pub now.
                            Was that bus the 2 or 22?
                            I grew up off Parry's Lane, not far from Coombe Dingle!

Don't suppose they also had Clifton Hill House? I don't know a Clifton Park house, there is ar oad called Clifton Park

Comment

There are bound to be prints of engravings of many of these old streets in Bristol Libby, but I don't know where you could see those online.

Sounds as if your lot must have owned half of Bristol!
                              Gillian

Comment

Gillian..............I think they did have a bit of real estate......pity it's not around any more.

I can't get any further back in Bristol for them except for a few marriages in 1740s. They must have come from somewhere...lol, so I thought if i could work out where they lived it might give me some idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky L View Post
                                  I grew up off Parry's Lane, not far from Coombe Dingle!
                                  Fancy that Nicky! I was in Grove Road - if you cut through The Dingle at the bottom of Parry's Lane, you would come out virtually at the bottom of my garden!

It was the 2 if I walked from Seamills I think, otherwise the 28 or 28B. My school was in Hensman's Hill and I met OH when I did a summer job in Princess Victoria Street where I had a bedsit.

Libby - sorry to hijack your thread - but how amazing!

I know my brother (an ex banker) has some prints of the old Corn Street but can't remember whether he has any other relevant Clifton ones he could scan for you. I'll ask him.
                                  Gillian

Comment

Aah you went to La Retraite then.

I had a summer job in a cafe in Regent St.

I'll have look for some pics too.

I can go and see if I can see Lansdown Villa, if its not in Buckingham Place it must be very close by.

Comment

Glad you both have nice memories......

Landsdown Villa was next door to Buckingham Chapel, but don't know which side..

Comment

Don't suppose either of you know the Princes Building???

Mary Ariel went to school there.

Comment

Working...
                                        X