Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm never answering a post again !!!!

Hi
    Having answered a post about a photographer, "Spence Lees" I now find myself off on a new tangent - not for the first time. I need help tracing Noah Spence Lees (photographer) in Liverpool and later Isle of Man. Does anyone have a Liverpool kellys directory for 1880/90's ?? I know he moved to IOM by 1894.

Much to my surprise his elder brother appears in IOM and the business appears to become W.J. Lees at some point after 1894.

So I now need 2 death dates - Noah and William (not to mention their sister Edith) - and to find out what William (previously regarded as a "black sheep" and listed as a sail maker) was doing suddenly becoming a photographer at 34!
    I know William and Edith are alive in the twenties...............
    Help - I'm never answering a post again !!!!

You might find some here
    Historical Directories
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by RNM View Post
      Help - I'm never answering a post again !!!!
      Don't be silly, RNM;) Once the bug has bitten, I'm afraid it's fatal. Curiosity always gets the better of us and each time anybody looks something up, they always learn something new which often helps in their own research sooner or later.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I now need ... to find out what William (previously regarded as a "black sheep" and listed as a sail maker) was doing suddenly becoming a photographer at 34!
        I have an ag lab from Kent who emigrated to Australia with his family and became a photographer in the 1860s, so a major career change like that certainly isn't impossible.

Comment

Noah was still in Liverpool in 1889:

The National Archives | The Catalogue | Full Details | COPY 1/397/28

Comment

A Spence Lees opened a theatre in the IoM in 1893:

The Industrial Archaeology of the ... - Google Book Search

Comment

The Bijou Theatre was built by a top photographer S. Lees and opened in May 1893.
              Cinema Treasures | Empire Electric Theatre

Comment

I don't know if my post from last November is any use for this thread, but I'll post it again anyway!

There's a Noah Spence Lees on the 1901 census recorded as a photographer b 1862 and living in Liverpool (Mount Pleasant). I can't find him in 1891 yet, but in 1881 he didn't have a job (dad was a professor of music!)

There's also a John Spence Lees b 1858 who would need finding.....

Comment

John Spence and William Joseph Lees traded as grocers under the name of Lees Brothers in Birkenhead, but the partnership was dissolved in 1888:

Gazette Website: PDF Navigator

Comment

List of Photographers known to have worked on Isle of Man pre 1900

19th century Photographers

Comment

Originally posted by RNM View Post
                      I now find myself off on a new tangent - not for the first time.
                      Just enjoy it and remember where you were before you found the tangent. Sometimes they are even more fun that the original research.
                      Kit

Comment

hello what happened to my reply ????? hmmmmmm well in case it doesn't appear - THANKS you're all amazing !! loads of info and loads of new questions !!

Comment

Working...
                        X