using FTM on more than one PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using FTM on more than one PC

I have a PC outside in one of the Garages which has been converted into a Office for me, I have my FTM Tree on there, but during the winter months I want to use a Laptop indoors which is the best way to update my Tree???
    I did download the FTM programme into the Laptop .

all you need to do now Val is create a backup file and put it on a disc or memory stick and load it onto the other puter.

Presto!

Don't forget which one you are working on though, it can get confusing and you could backup from the wrong machine and overwrite a more recent file on the other machine (if you see what I mean lol). I have FTM at work an NEVER back up from it. I always update at home and backup from there.
    Rose

Comment

I have never tried with FTM as I much prefer Brothers Keeper but why not simply network the two computers.
      Load FTM program onto both and use one set of data files via the network.
      This way the files are up to date no matter which computer you are using.
      It would also be very simple to arrange that each computer made a back-up file on closing the program, thereby ensuring current backups.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Guy, FTM does automatically backup the file whenever you exit the program.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I´m not sure that Family Tree Maker would be happy working on a network.
          It wont read and work with data files on memory sticks or external hard drives, so I think you might struggle getting it to work across a network.

Which version of FTM are you using Val.
          I use FTM 2006 most of the time which has the facility to backup to the internet. I regularly backup to the internet, particularly if I am using different computers to access my tree - I can then download instantly the latest data file, work with it, and back it up on the internet again. These backups are available to me from all three computers that I use at home.

You do have to be methodical and careful or else you will find that you end up with more than one so called "master" file.
          Elaine

Comment

ummm its 2006 Elaine I see what you all mean it could get awkward???
            I just did not fancy adding names all through the winter on here then having to go and add them again on the other one .
            I dont quite understand what Guy means ??

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              I´m not sure that Family Tree Maker would be happy working on a network.
              It wont read and work with data files on memory sticks or external hard drives, so I think you might struggle getting it to work across a network.
              After reading your reply Elaine I tried it on my network at home.
              First I installed FTM 2006 on two remote computers, then I opened a new file and uploaded three gedcoms onto the the file using each computer in turn.
              The gedcoms all came from a usb hard drive attached to a fourth networked computer.
              Each computer could access and amend the file, no problems.
              Note I was using only one version of FTM at a time to access the file, I was not trying to properly network the programs and file to allow multiple use at the same time.

Cheers
              Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                ummm its 2006 Elaine I see what you all mean it could get awkward???
                I just did not fancy adding names all through the winter on here then having to go and add them again on the other one .
                I dont quite understand what Guy means ??
                A network is where two or more computers are connected together to allow each computer to see the other and read or read and write to its files.

Assuming 1 your PC and laptop are networked together and 2 you have a gedcom of a family tree to experiment with.
                Install FTM on both the PC and laptop.
                Open FTM on the PC and open a new blank FTM file (Trial) in a folder on the PC.
                Do not use the same folder as FTM is located in. I would suggest creating a folder named test and opening the file in that folder.
                Import the gedcom to the file in the test folder.
                Close FTM. Open "My Computer" and share the test folder.

Go to the laptop and open FTM.
                Open the folder test on the PC it will be located in the network. Open the file (Trial) Add a couple of names then close FTM.

If you now open FTM on the PC you will be able to see the new names added.

Note because most Family Tree programs are not designed to network only one computer will be able to access the file at any one time, but if you are the only one working on the file this will not matter.
                Cheers
                Guy

Comment

thanks for that Guy am going to try that tomorrow will let you know

Comment

One question Val - how often do you use the computer in the garage during the winter time?
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                      A network is where two or more computers are connected together to allow each computer to see the other and read or read and write to its files.
                      Don't feel you have to answer this, but how are they connected together?

Val, if you aren't going to be using your computer in the garage for many weeks there shouldn't be a problem of getting mixed up. Just put your tree on the lappy via backup on disc or stick an work on that. When you go back to the comp in the garage take a new back up from the lappy to that, probably deleting the old file from the garage comp before uploading the newer one to avoid confusion.
                      Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        One question Val - how often do you use the computer in the garage during the winter time?
                        if its realy cold I dont really want to at all Elaine, but its so nice to be out there when its a nice day with the door open watching and listening to the birds.
                        Thats probably the best idea Rosie unless I can work out Guys way.

Comment

There are various ways to connect computers together in a network.
                          They can connected on a wireless network (WiFi or 802.11) or through a hard wired system.

The wireless system uses low power transmitters and receivers to send and receive signals between the computers printers etc.
                          A hard wired system (Ethernet) uses wire to replace the transmitters and receivers.
                          There are various type of hard wired systems one of which will even use the mains power cables as the network wiring.
                          Some systems use thin wires like telephone wires some use co-axial cable like tv aerial cables and others use the mains power cables or even the phone lines.

Networks are also useful for security, remote monitoring of houses etc., controlling lights, appliances heating, music, video etc. etc.
                          The value of networking is only now being commonly extended past allowing computers to “talk” to each other.
                          Cheers
                          Guy

Comment

To be honest Val I think the simplest thing would be to use the internet back up option on FTM2006 - if you then want to swap between your two computers all you would need to do is to download the latest data file - but you do need to know how to handle files and ensure they are all kept in one folder - it would be very easy to end up with multiple files scattered around your hard drive!
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                              There are various ways to connect computers together in a network.
                              They can connected on a wireless network (WiFi or 802.11) or through a hard wired system.

The wireless system uses low power transmitters and receivers to send and receive signals between the computers printers etc.
                              A hard wired system (Ethernet) uses wire to replace the transmitters and receivers.
                              There are various type of hard wired systems one of which will even use the mains power cables as the network wiring.
                              Some systems use thin wires like telephone wires some use co-axial cable like tv aerial cables and others use the mains power cables or even the phone lines.

Networks are also useful for security, remote monitoring of houses etc., controlling lights, appliances heating, music, video etc. etc.
                              The value of networking is only now being commonly extended past allowing computers to “talk” to each other.
                              Cheers
                              Guy
                              *glad I've only got the one:o*
                              Rose

Comment

I'm beginning to think the same thing Rosie !!!thanks for your help everybody
                                Think I'll stick to Elaines suggestion ,as if I get stuck she can talk me through it ??? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X