Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry search help req.

Hi
    If you have an Ancestry account can you please try something for me.

I am searching for Frank Brown born 1870 London in the 1901 census.

By entering the above into a search I get a problem only on the 1901 census,( 1841 - 1891 are not a problem) there is a very thin line across the screen and any names above the line cannot be clicked on ,and I cannot view the original.

I have tried a different name , George Smith 1870 London and the same problem happens but only the 1901 census

I have tried Firefox in Linux on 2 desktops Firefox in Linux on laptop and Firefox on Windows XP all with the same result but Internet Explorer works ok.

Can anybody else replicate this problem ?

Ken

Not quite same, but all of a sudden I can't view 'see others on page' on marriages...
    Frustrating!
    and now doing the same on census...!
    Last edited by PDH; 18-02-09, 17:07. Reason: added info

Comment

No problem here .... I'm using Safari

Ooops no ... it's gone funny

Can click on the image on the right OK but it won't work if I'm on the 'View Record' page
      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 18-02-09, 17:09.
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

If I put London in the County or Island box and 1870 with no +/- I get six matches for Frank Brown and 17 for George Brown (no problems - I'm using IE7).

Was it a specific Frank you were looking for?

Comment

No problems for me. I'm using XP and Firefox 3.0.6.
          Last edited by WendyPusey; 18-02-09, 17:27.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Ken - with XP and Firefox version 3.0.5 I have no problem.
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

No problem here. Using XP & Firefox.
              Elaine

Comment

Ken- I'm using Xp and Firefox, as above,
                Just switched to 'new search experience' and it lets me in...which are you using?
                I have been using both experiences all afternoon (see my thread about showing my friend round the site!!!)

Comment

This is strange , it only happens on the 1901 .
                  I have just searched randomly George Smith 1870 Dorset 1901 census first item in list there are 4 names and the line is above the bottom name , so I can click on the bottom one to see where they came from but not on the others.
                  Selected 1891 census and the first on on the list and there are dozens of people , all clickable

Ken

Comment

Hi PDH

I am using the old search , it is not the search that is a problem it is viewing the results for 1901.

Ken

Comment

Seems OK with Vista and Firefox

Comment

Yes- that's what I'm saying-I can only view the results when in 'new search'

Comment

Hi Merry

I do not know who I am looking for , it was the point that I could not click on the names above this thin line , that is on my desktop and laptop.

Ken

Comment

Ken - what version of Firefox do you have? Heather PT has been experiencing problems with the latest version 3.0.6
                            Gillian
                            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Hi Pdh

I have just tried the New Search ( mutter mutter ) and it all works as it should.
                              Thanks for the tip.
                              It still does not explain why I get this line in Firefox .
                              Have Ancestry done a little tweak I wonder.

Comment

Hi Gillian

Version 3.0.6

Ken

Comment

It's well and truly broken now :(

I can get View Image' and the 'View Record' but when I'm on the 'View Record' transcription my little hand thingie turns into an arrow

Oh YES I see what you mean about the line .. the names under that are live but anything above, isn't

Still using Safari and just tried gt grandparents in 1891 .... same problem
                                  Last edited by Rachel Scand; 18-02-09, 17:33.
                                  ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I've just tried again.
                                    In 'old search' I can see the same results page but I cannot bring up 'view original image' on 1901 or marriages...
                                    in 'new search' I can.
                                    This literally happened in the minutes before Ken first posted, I have been on ancestry all afternoon, moving between the 2 searches to show a friend how to do it.

OH- and the text has changed....do they know I started a thread about the 2 searches, and is this their revenge??!!

Comment

Still working OK for me. Using old search still.
                                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I have just fired up my old laptop XP Firefox 3.04
                                        I did the same search ( old search ) and looked at the 1901 and it works properly.
                                        But I did notice Firefox was updating to 3.05 , I will wait and see what it is like when it has updated.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                                        X